UKC

6000m+ peak boots, Mammut Nordwand 2.1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience of using the Mammut Nordwand 2.1 at altitude. It would be for  6-7000m in Nepal in November/December.

I'd like to know how you found it in the cold, the fit, whether the Boa is a faff etc.

I used Millet HA (8000) boots in the past but they were probably overkill for the 6800m peak, post-monsoon season.

Thanks.

Post edited at 18:29
 dave_strachan 11 Apr 2021
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Interested to hear any feedback too. If they come up short I have a pair of Scarpa 6000m that you can try - used for an andes trip but nothing else high on the horizon for me for a few years sadly!

In reply to dave_strachan:

Hi Dave

Thanks. What size are they? What condition are they in?

Removed User 11 Apr 2021

I've had a look at a pair and they're not what I'd use for anything serious above 6000m. They don't have an inner like the Scarpa boots, being instead almost the same as the Arcteryx doubles ie a sort of insulated sock, which I tried and didn't find either particularly warm nor useful for more than a night or two. To my mind they're not really a true 'double', maybe a 1.5, and aimed more at over nights in the Alps than high alt stuff (despite the marketing).

Depends how you get along with this trend in skinny inner boots ala the G2SM's as well, something I also didn't get into. I like me a nice plush inner like Scarpa and TNF do, that shares a lot more of the boots insulation with the outer and lets me wear a thinner sock (that dries faster).

Positives; they're very nice quality and impressively light, the Boa's got it's advantages.

For what you're aiming for I'd personally use Scarpa or TNF's, depends on the climbing and how many nights above 5500m. I also don't think big doubles would hurt if it's north facing and later in Dec.

Tom F Harding 12 Apr 2021

I bought a pair for a cold 6000m trip that was cancelled last October. They seem considerably warmer than the original Nordwand in which I would still have sweaty feet in -15C. The elastic around the calf seems noticeably tighter but this hopefully wont affect circulation. As far as I can see if you have wide feet they are basically the only boot available. I will have to see how they do in the mountains at the end of this year.

In reply to Tom F Harding:

Thanks Tom, very useful info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...