UKC

AAC insurance for over 6000m

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
More_Than_a_Plod 17 Dec 2017
It appears that I mistakenly took membership of AAC thinking the insurance would cover me for a single days summit attempt at a peak over 6000m. As far as I was aware the 2017 policy covered this as long as the summit attempt was within one day.

I can't find that wording in the new 2018 insurance wording so when I tried to add the extra cover (for a couple) it came out at £800.
(Standard with no medical issues etc)

I know there are other insurance companies to look at. I just want to make sure I haven't made a mistake with the AAC before getting additional cover.

I'll obviously be checking with AAC first hand but just wanted to see if anyone else had found this issue.

Regards and Merry Christmas.
Alex
 Damo 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Alex Park:

Second post in this thread mentions this? https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=675545
rackandruin 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Alex Park:
From page 2 of the Premium Trip cover ...

Expedition: Trekking trips are not regarded as expeditions and are therefore insured. If one-day summit climbs of over 6,000 m are offered in the context of such trekking trips, these summit climbs are also not regarded as expeditions.
O) over 6,000 m: In respect of the Worldwide over 6,000 m tariff, the insurance cover also applies to ascents of mountains over 6,000 m for a duration of several days, which are booked through a travel organizer and guided by an authorized mountain guide or
which have been pre-approved by the insurer.
Hope that helps Personally I intend to email the AACs insurance providers to get confirmation for my own trip @ AV-service@knox.co.at
Post edited at 09:49
rackandruin 17 Dec 2017
In reply to rackandruin: That should have read - From page 2 of the new Premium Trip cover for 2018 ...

More_Than_a_Plod 09 Jan 2018
In reply to rackandruin:

I emailed knox to find out and confirm the above. HOWEVER the reply I received tell me that the above paragraph does not apply in 2018. They no longer provide the cover under the premium policy for ANY mountains over 6000m. This means you are required to purchase other insurance. My quote from them was £400 each.

Yikes. I've gone with true traveller instead.
 MG 09 Jan 2018
In reply to More_Than_a_Plod:

More generally I'd question whether AAC cover would be sufficient for areas with 6000m even if you don't go that high. Doesn't it only cover 20000 Euro in costs?
More_Than_a_Plod 09 Jan 2018
In reply to MG:

To be honest my other travel insurance covers everything else I need. I only needed the helicopter rescue side of things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...