UKC

Aladaglar Mountains Turkey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glaramara 18 Mar 2019

Hi going to the Aladaglar (Anti-Taurus) region of mountains in 3 weeks. Guess the most well known hill would be Demirkazık. Anybody been and willing to share a bit of beta? Hoping to get the highest hills in an alpine style but rather in the dark re. difficulties etc.

thanks

Mal Grey 18 Mar 2019
In reply to glaramara:

Can't really help, as I've only trekked there in autumn, but I really liked the area. It was also in 2005, so I don't remember it that clearly! Arid, slightly loose mountains was my main impression. It was also relatively unvisited, with no infrastructure in the hills, other than a filthy hosepipe and a nasty temporary loo at one camp (boots required, not sandals!)! I'm sure its changed by now, but hopefully is still relatively undeveloped.

We climbed the second* highest peak, Emler, south of Demirkazik and an easy scramble from a pass, having walked in from the west. It was clear from both seeing and reading about Demirkazik, that it was a proper climb in summer (Severe ish??? Don't quote me!), so could be good sport in winter. 

There seems to have been quite a bit of sport climbing development there. The couple who seem to be at the forefront of it, Recep & Zeynep Ince, run this place and might be worth getting in touch with: https://www.aladaglarcamping.com/

The high basin of Yedi Goller is a pretty remarkable place, I'd happily have spent more time there. Again, might be very different at this time of year.

We descended east from there via an impressive deep valley, Hacer Vadisi, a stunning place with massive rock walls and a beautifully wooded valley bottom once you dropped from the high parts.

Really enjoyed it, proper mountains in a compact range rising above the plains, so the views from the flanks were endless and you had a real feeling of being high up.

I've also enjoyed reminiscing and googling to see what's changed, and its actually pleasing to find very little info!

*Heights seem somewhat unreliable, and vary from map to map!

Big Steve 18 Mar 2019
In reply to glaramara:

Ive been there a few times, anything specific you need to know?

OP glaramara 18 Mar 2019
In reply to Big Steve:

anything on the normal routes on Demirkazik and Kızılkaya  really. I know they're pretty straightforward in summer but this will be in spring nick i.e. April.

Big Steve 18 Mar 2019
In reply to glaramara:

There are a couple of good guidebooks, this is the best:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aladaglar-Rock-Climbing-Guidebook-Recep/dp/B00NIW0...

or this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ala-Dag-Turkeys-Crimson-Mountains/dp/1852841125/re...

(Cant believe how expensive they are now)

Direktas is a great peak, in the Yedi Gol area, Ive always wanted to climb Parmakkaya, its a stunning looking tower. 

Also lots of sport climbing in several different valleys, tends to be fairly hard though (by my standards anyway), high 6s onwards

OP glaramara 18 Mar 2019
In reply to Mal Grey:

Aye I've been in contact with Recep he seems a pretty cool guy. There's also a bit of a guide book now by the same guy. Not Rockfax but a start I guess.

Big Steve 18 Mar 2019
In reply to glaramara:

His guidebook is the first one I have linked, its very good, very clear with rockfax style photo routes. Everything you need to know is in it, buy it!

Depending on how long you are going for, I would head to Demirkazik village, the campsite is a little further up the road. There is also an Alpine style hut. From there, its a pleasant trek towards Yedi Gol (watch out for the vicious sheep dogs, if you see any shepherd camps, attract the attention of the shepherds who will control the dogs). You will pass Demirkazik on the way. Yedi Gol is a large flat area, with lakes, surrounded by peaks. The big one dominating everything is Direktas, Kizilkaya is close by too. 

Sayon 18 Mar 2019
In reply to glaramara:

I've been there a few times- it's a beautiful area. Most recently,I went sport climbing with my daughter, but prior to that, climbing the peaks and trekking. As big Steve mentioned,  yedigoller is a spectacular place but at the time you're going I suspect that there won't be any locals at the yayla there.

It's also probably not the best base for demirkazik itself, but other peaks are very accessible from there. I have lots of information but am off on a trip myself at the end of the week; I can email but not post some stuff if you haven't already got a guidebook sorted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...