UKC

Alpinists with Bunions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harry Cook 15 May 2018

Over the next year or two I’m wanting to begin to progress down the route of Scottish winter and alpine climbing however I’ve got one worry. Being only 18 I’m already beginning to develop tailors bunions, my mother’s side of the family has bunions but non with tailors. 

Just wondering if there’s anyone out there who’s been in a similar situation to me or continues to alpine climb with tailors bunions. Ive been referred to NHS orthotics but it’s taking ages. I’ve done a fair bit summer walking, scrambling in the UK and abroad without problems, climbing wise it’s not to bad but not the best feeling. Anyone had similar problem/ experience:? How easy is it to get boots to fit and do they impair ability in certain situations? 

Cheers 

Hannah V 15 May 2018
In reply to Harry Cook:

I would have thought you could get alpine boots pushed out at the places where there is pressure on the bunion? I've had bunions for the last 8 years and use a combination of custom made foot beds and toe spreaders to reduce pain or discomfort. Scarpa is also a good choice for wider feet.

doz 15 May 2018
In reply to Harry Cook:

I had severe arthritis in my foot which over the years created a bump on my big toe similar to a bunion but bigger - had my climbing and ski boots shaped to fit no problems - Scarpas always worked well for me too. Painful but never stopped me climbing/skiing

Had the foot angle-ground last year to great effect - no longer takes me 5 minutes to get my rock shoe on. And my climbing hasn't got any better so can't use that excuse any more...

Dave the Rave 15 May 2018
In reply to Harry Cook:

Have a look at Hanwag bunion boots.

Several models, I’m sure some would do for winter climbing.

I bought my daughter some and she says ‘ they are mint’. 

cb294 16 May 2018
In reply to Harry Cook:

Another vote for Scarpas. Also, I have started to use crampon compatible boots even for hiking, reduces the need to flex the big toes (totally arthritic, swollen and messed up from other sports).

CB

JPE 16 May 2018
In reply to Harry Cook:

Don't buy boots before you have orthotics made and take your current boots/most worn approach shoes to the appointment with you. 

Just had some orthotics made to correct various compensation injuries etc. They work but now my fairly new pre-injury boots don't fit properly...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...