UKC

Alps maps for Garmin 66st

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kp1 24 May 2022

Hi, I’m looking for advice on the best maps for the Mont Blanc area and Switzerland for the 66st. Are the Garmin V6 Pro maps any good? I’ve used ViewRanger on my phone in the past but would prefer a dedicated gps unit as it’s easier to use in bad weather when it’s most needed.

Just to preempt the inevitable, I will have a paper map and compass with the gps being a backup. Thanks.

VictorM 24 May 2022
In reply to kp1:

I'm sure the Garmin maps are great but I've always found them a bit overpriced. I bought one set but didn't notice a lot of difference compared to open source alternatives. I was a longtime fan of openstreetmap but they seem to have gone the way of the Dodo and I now use openfietsmap. It's a Dutch site and is mainly targeted to cyclists (hence the name) but the maps offer enough detail for hiking and other walking based activities as well.

OwenM 24 May 2022
In reply to kp1:

Viewranger is unfortunately no more

OP kp1 24 May 2022
In reply to kp1:

Yeah, it’s unfortunate that ViewRanger is no more. I’m looking for something of a similar quality for climbing. 

Marek 24 May 2022
In reply to VictorM:

> I was a longtime fan of openstreetmap but they seem to have gone the way of the Dodo ...

What makes you say that? Still working OK and getting regular updates as far as I can see.

VictorM 24 May 2022
In reply to Marek:

> What makes you say that? Still working OK and getting regular updates as far as I can see.

Sorry, should have said I was referring to a specific subsite of openstreetmap, garmin.openstreetmap.nl. They offered very straightforward Garmin downloads based on openstreetmap.

OP kp1 25 May 2022
In reply to kp1:

Thanks.

auld al 26 May 2022
In reply to kp1:

There is also a "swisstopo" app with detailed G.P.S.

In reply to VictorM:

> Sorry, should have said I was referring to a specific subsite of openstreetmap, garmin.openstreetmap.nl. They offered very straightforward Garmin downloads based on openstreetmap.

Thats not a sub site but entirely independent from OSM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...