UKC

Austrian Alpine club Insurance for alps this summer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I know this has been discussed before but I can't find it.

I know that membership of the Austrian alpine club includes insurance and reciprical rights to cheap rates at huts.

I am looking at insurance for this summer, not having been for a few years. In the past I got insurance via BMC, and I have to say when I once had to use it the service was very good. I didn't pay for for additional reciprical rights card from the BMC.

Before I print off and start comparing the detailed cover provided by the two insurance providers, I wondered if anyone had already done this comparison or used the Austrian membership and had any comments to share.

many thanks
billy no-mates 16 Apr 2012
In reply to Adderbury Climber:

BMC became expensive while AAC includes reciprocal rights card.
 Howard J 16 Apr 2012
In reply to billy no-mates: So far as I can recall the AAC is strictly rescue insurance, although I think it includes related medical costs, whereas the BMC is a general travel insurance policy which covers things like luggage, cancellation and non-climbing related accidents. You'd have to check the details though - there's a leaflet you can download from the AAC website.

I haven't had to call on either so I can't comment on their service.
 Alpandy 16 Apr 2012
In reply to Adderbury Climber: I use the AAC insurance...well, I have never actually needed to use it...and long may that continue! As previous poster says it is all about rescue and medical cover. I have a travel insurance policy thrown in through my bank account to cover most other things. If your planning on using huts AAC is great although I have blagged it plenty of times using a normal BMC card rather than forking out for the reciprical rights card too.
Moggsy 16 Apr 2012
In reply to Adderbury Climber: AAC is pretty good. Runs January to January so don't hold out to buy it if you want in for 2012. Good cable car and hut discounts... My experience BMC card meant nothing overseas
 alasdair19 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Adderbury Climber: frankly a bmc cqrd will prob get you cheaper hut nights unless guardians are well informed. the AAC is very good value, but really only covers heli rides not baggage, flight F ups etc.

think basic vs gold plated!
birdman 17 Apr 2012

The AAC will cover all rescue costs and related medical costs that are incurred during a trip (including activities such as canoeing, etc). This comes at the princely sum of £40 (ish) and lasts for a year. Most people have some form of basic travel insurance for lost baggage with their banks, home insurance etc.

My advice would be to join the AAC and just buy a basic travel insurance package from tesco or similar for £15 to cover baggage in transit etc.

You will make your money back form just eh reciprocal rights and discounts of uplifts etc.
 JMarkW 17 Apr 2012
In reply to birdman:

Careful here. AAC insurance, rescure and repatriation is for climbing (ok outdoor?) related activities - not just general illness or accidents e.g. RTA's.

So some typical travel insurance covering baggage and medical stuff for non-climbing activities may also be required. Especially so if outside europe.

cheers
mark
 Andy Hardy 17 Apr 2012
We use a snowcard annual policy - worth throwing into the mix, esp. if you ski. http://www.snowcard.co.uk/

Geoff Lyons 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Adderbury Climber: The AAC package is very good value but be aware that the insurace cover may be inadequate for medical costs in Switzerland. If you're going to France make sure you also have your EHIC card.
Juki 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Geoff Lyons:
> The AAC package is very good value but be aware that the insurace cover may be inadequate for medical costs in Switzerland.

EHIC is valid in Switzerland too. You just have to make sure that you avoid the private clinics.

Thanks everyone for the info, I think AAC is what I will do. I will probably be driving over as stopping of in France en route, and hoping to visit a number of areas. So flights delays are something I need covered, but will get something for RTA's

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...