UKC

Best Insurance for the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I was planning to go with the BMC insurance for my trip to chamonix in the summer as I have done in the past. However, after reading a worrying review on here I am now unsure as to what to do. Could anyone recommend another adventure insurance company?
Thanks!
 Webster 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Charley17:

Austrian Alpine club is the only one i have used. only about £35 for a years membership plus it gets you good hut discounts accross the alps, and free use of AAC huts i think
 kylo-342 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Webster:

Irrespective of the insurance, just for the hut reciprocal rights, AAC is better value than BMC + reciprocal rights card
 MG 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Charley17:

AAC seems fine and cheaper within Europe than the BMC but note the limits of the policy . Further afield, it's probably not enough.
 MikeStuart 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Charley17:

Interested in this too...
 wilkesley 01 May 2014
In reply to MG:

Also it doesn't cover you for things like flight cancellation or theft. Depending on your view of such risks, you will probably have to factor in the cost of an additional holiday insurance policy.
 kestrelspl 01 May 2014
In reply to Webster:

It's about half price in AAC huts not free I think. But still as pointed out above it's a much better deal than buying the BMC reciprocal rights card.
 Joe G 01 May 2014
In reply to Charley17:

I seem to remember Snowcard being good for tweeking bits and pieces so you could tailor it to what you want covered and how much, but haven't used them in years. Last few times I've been with the AAC. Never had to claim from Snowcard, BMC or AAC so can't comment on that.

As for the level of cover that AAC provides, it's personal preference but I've never missed a flight or been the victim of theft, and I have no insurance for stuff when I'm in this country so don't feel the need when I'm in another country.

I hope I haven't just tempted fate...
 Jenny C 01 May 2014
In reply to Charley17:

Does AAC offer full travel cover?

Last year we got a "standard" policy for travel benefits and AAC to cover Search&Rescue, but reading the text it looks like AAC covers pretty much all we need (medical, repatriation etc).

We're driving down and camping, so don't need cancellation cover and possessions are covered with the house contents.
mysterion 01 May 2014
In reply to Jenny C:
As I read it last year, you are covered for medical on the way to/from mountaineering activities - the only element of travel insurance I required.
Post edited at 17:06
 blurty 02 May 2014
In reply to Jenny C:

AAC membership includes insurance that is meant for up on the mountain. It's rescue insurance really, with reciprocal hut rights.

See http://aacuk.org.uk/

They have an office in the UK, give them a call.

Personally I use AAC (£40 PA) + an annual travel insurance policy with snow sport extension. Costs about £80 PA.
 Red Rover 02 May 2014
In reply to Charley17:

Does the AAC cover norway?
 Blinder 02 May 2014
In reply to Red Rover:
Yes, global cover. Read the T and C. The cover is limited but enough for me.
 David55 02 May 2014
In reply to Blinder:

Have used BMC insurance and made one claim. My son Iain was desperately ill in the middle of nowhere travelling in Malawi. Bizarrely we were told this in a phone call from a woman in Paris. He was insured with BMC travel insurance. They managed to find him, get him to a hospital, and help us get him home. When it mattered they delivered.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...