UKC

/ Bestard mountaineering boots - thoughts?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Dave8850 - on 26 Mar 2018

One of my buddies climbed a decade ago in these (at the time) cheap but excellent Spanish-made, double leather boots. Did well on a 6000m peak in Nepal, Essentually it was a leather climbing boot with a removable superlight Gore-Tex bootie - most unusual at the time as you would see this more on double plastic climbing boots than on leather. Their top climbing lineup is here:http://www.bestard.com/ficha.php?t=599-8060-Top-Extreme-Lite

and I wonder if anyone has had experience more recently with their TOP range of boots....Thanks

Jonny on 26 Mar 2018
In reply to Dave8850:

I'm a huge fan of Bestard boots. Comfortable fit for wide feet (similar to some Scarpa and Raichle models), bombproof build without being too heavy, and great guarantee (resoling/randing within two years).

Thanks for bringing these to my attention. I'm after a tough and sleek double boot for some Andean climbs without the bulk and price of Baruntse/Spantiks. These look like just the ticket - if only they made a leather version (cf. Elbrus vs Fitz Roy).

EDIT: I see they did make a leather version, although it weighed a fair ton, not surprisingly: http://www.bestard.com/ficha.php?t=329.

Post edited at 11:09
Dave8850 - on 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Dave8850:

I live in the tropics with decent stretches between the 'big' climbs, and the rate of PU hydolysis or "PU rot" is such that many expensive plastic boot, tents - or anything made of or use a PU coating just goes pear shaped after a few years - hence by avoiding boots heavy on PU use like the Spantiks/Baruntses.....

Dave8850 - on 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Jonny:

I took a look at the few boots Bestard make that have an inner liner and yes, at about 1250grams a single boot, vs the 1150 gms for eg La Sportiva baruntse, these are heavier and likely to be less warm. The 3mm perwanger leather might also take a bit to break in. "Feel" on rock and steep bits *might* be better than the bulkier Baruntses.  The Baruntse's extra micro insulation on the shell in addition to th inner definitely makes it warmer I think....

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.