UKC

Big wall climbing food suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevinroet 12 Jul 2017
Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas on food suggestions for big walling. Looking to spend 2 weeks on a wall, and need all the creative suggestions I can get. Will take a stove as I cannot live without coffee. Its a fine balancing act of hot food good for morale, but needs gas. Dehydrated food needs water and gas. Cold food is good for a while, may get monotonous, but not much extra to take, just needs to be able to keep for 2 weeks. No thanks to stale bagels...

Any suggestions?
 Rick Graham 12 Jul 2017
In reply to kevinroet:

Depends whether its Yosemite or a Baffin Island Big Wall.

The temperature and water availability will affect your choice.
OP kevinroet 13 Jul 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

It will be Yosemite
 routrax 13 Jul 2017
In reply to kevinroet:
I'm pretty sure Andy Kirkpatrick has a post or two about big wall dining on his blog

Probably lots of other good info on there too if you're new to big walls.

Post edited at 07:46
 Climber_Bill 13 Jul 2017
In reply to kevinroet:

Don't take fresh bananas onto a big wall in the heat. We took quite a few onto the nose and they very quickly turned black and inedible, unless you like very black bananas of course.

I found the most palatable and tasty snacks were beef jerky and trail mix. Also bagels with Nutella for breakfast were great, with fresh coffee.

Snack bars, such as cliff bars, were good to eat throughout the day as well but make sure you take the flavours you really like. They do get a bit tedious after a while.
In reply to kevinroet:

Something wet you can reheat on the evening - chilli, beans etc - the psychological help of a hot meal is hard to overstate plus my mouth was so dry each night that nothing else really felt edible, after a tin of beans I could wolf down crisps! Its worth the gas weight
 Toerag 13 Jul 2017
In reply to kevinroet:

Dr Kargs flatbreads should be good - the tomato mozarella ones are like pizzas. We ate them with peanut butter on. Surely you want to buy your food in the states though, so ask on supertopo.
 alasdair19 13 Jul 2017
In reply to kevinroet:

Tins are good we had ravioli plenty of moisture. I'd take care to ensure some dried fruit nuts etc as you don't want to be going to fast or not at all.
A preservative packed bagel will keep for 2 weeks, failing that crackers tinned fish and meat.

What do you expext to take 2 weeks on ?
 mit 13 Jul 2017
In reply to kevinroet:

Creative suggestions you say, how about looking at this link for some ideas:

http://bugvivant.com/bugwall-full-trip-report/
 snoop6060 13 Jul 2017
In reply to kevinroet:

> It will be Yosemite

Well since it's California various large bags of weed and loads of wine. And orio cookies for energy. Or those massive bags of dried mangos they do at walmart. But defo the weed.
 AndyCook 13 Jul 2017
In reply to kevinroet:
For breakfast go with something like bagels with peanut butter and jam or nutella. Or breakfast bars.

Don't bother which lunch, just snack throughout the day to keep energy levels up. Go for trail mix with a good combination of nuts, dried fruit and dark chocolate. Throw in salted peanuts too to help combat loss of salts through sweating. Also, consider electrolytes tablets in a one of your daily water bottles. You can buy a tube of tablets to take up and use when necessary instead of making this up in advance. Obviously snack/energy and protein/recovery bars are an option as well. If you make ration packs in advance for each day then you wont risk carrying too much at the start. You can also easily carry these in a small personal bag whether leading or seconding.

For your evening meals you could take tinned food like chilli, fish, , beans, spaghetti, raviolli etc. Supplement with noodles or boil in the bag rice. The rice cooks easily in a jetboil and you can use any leftover water to wash up with (although its a little starchy).

Oh and tinned fruit is useful. Not only is it something to look forward to because it has a nice taste kick, it provides good sugars as well as a drink. Enjoy during the day or after your evening meal.

And be inventive. You don't need to be boring with your meals. Try out different things before your trip, but consider the fact that you will need to adapt to what you can buy in the US.
Post edited at 14:51
 dunnyg 13 Jul 2017
Tinned peaches are king

janegallwey 13 Jul 2017
In reply to kevinroet:

I did the canned ravioli bullshit for years until I did a wall with a girl who brought these things along for food https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasty_Bite

They're amazing, don't weigh too much, no nasty cans to deal with afterwards, don't use any water, don't make the cooking water dirty (so you can boil the bags then use the water for tea) and taste pretty darn good.

Only downside is some people might have strange digestive effects from eating only vegetarian indian food for a week, I've never had a problem but I suggested it to my roommate when he soloed moonlight buttress and he said he wished he'd brought a bigger poop tube...
 nniff 13 Jul 2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...