UKC

Bolivia - expedition providers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MGA 02 May 2014
I'm thinking about travelling to Bolivia to climb this summer. I'll be alone and so I'll need to join some form of organized expedition. I would be very grateful for any shared experiences of climbing on expeditions there. In addition, if anyone happens to know anything about Patagonicas that would be very helpful. It sounds as if they run an interesting technical course, but I know nothing about them as a company.

Very many thanks,

Matthew
 jonnie3430 03 May 2014
In reply to MGA:

I've done a bit solo in Bolivia, mainly I'd try to find partners there through UKC and Supertopo, but occasionally couldn't so went off alone. Huayna Potosi is fairly simple with a motorway up and down. Condoriri (worst glacier out the lot,) and Pequenyo Alpamayo were fine with a short stretch of II/III on them. Illimani and Sajama I climbed with partners, but they would have been fine solo too.

The routes that rely on snow and ice obviously change, so they may be more or less dangerous now, the trade route is well stamped out by other parties before hand so crevasse danger is reduced. I used to wait for other parties to get an hour or two head start then follow up so they'd show the best route and fall in crevasses first!!

There are loads of local guiding companies and loads of tourists that come through, get dragged up something like Huayna Potosi to get the 6000m life tick and head on, so there is no shortage of loads of local guides that will get you up anything including Sajama at a far cheaper price than any UK guide will offer, the routes they guide on aren't that complicated, so you should be fine....
robjob 03 May 2014
In reply to MGA:

Hi MGA

Bolivia is a fantastic country so you enjoy whatever you do. I Lived out there for the last couple of years and worked on the mountains as well as running some exploratory rock climbing trips. I know a relativly easily accessed area that has about 5 glencoes worth or untouched rock in it.

I run my own instructing business with expeditions but don't have one to Bolivia this year, Give me a message and I could point you in the direction of a couple of good (and this is the tricky part with Bolivia) guides and exped companies out there.

Coming back to the UK was really so I could get my qualifications ticked or I would have stayed out.

Regards

Rob
MGA 04 May 2014
In reply to jonnie3430:

Many thanks, Jonnie - much appreciated.

Matthew
MGA 04 May 2014
In reply to robjob:

Thanks, Rob - that's really helpful. You have mail.

Matthew
In reply to MGA:

I'm looking to be in bolivia in september and would like to go to condoriri. If you're still out there then I would be interested in teaming up.
 Mackenzie 23 May 2014

http://www.expeditionhotrock.co.uk/our-expeditions/4583313636

We currently have a few spaces available on an up coming Expedition to South America.
Removed User 23 May 2014
In reply to MGA:

You could get in touch with High Earth expeditions in La Paz. Elisa there speaks good English. They are a reliable provider but don't know if they organise expeditions with other folk as such. There is a Bolivian association of IFMGA guides who can probably help - you'll find them by googling.
Don't know anythign about Patagonicas I'm afraid.

Have you looked at the flight costs? Some of my mates were going to come out to Bolivia this summer but flights were about £1500 which put them off, to say the least!
robjob 23 May 2014
In reply to Removed UserRockarch:

A good option I used to use is to fly into lima, normally much cheaper, I'd then spend the money on surfing and partying in Lima, a bus to Bolivia, breaking my journey somewhere like Cusco for much high altitude beer drinking

Rob
Removed User 24 May 2014
In reply to robjob:

That's ok if you have plenty of time but not with only 3 weeks off work!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...