UKC

Carrying concept 2 rower up the Gouter Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CMCM 07 Aug 2019

A great cause but I’m not sure it’s a sensible idea tbh...assuming the guy has/gets permission in the first place! The bloke intends to summit Mt Blanc whilst carrying a concept 2 rowing machine for charity! A bit more serious than his foray up Ben Nevis...or am I just being soft?

https://www.facebook.com/1632399763573316/posts/1856236241189666?s=10000303...

Post edited at 21:37
 deacondeacon 07 Aug 2019
In reply to CMCM:

Genuine question

Why would he need permission to carry something up Mt blanc?

overdrawnboy 07 Aug 2019
In reply to deacondeacon:

Perhaps from his psychiatrist?.

When will people find useful things to do while they gather sponsorship.

I'd be more inclined to support him if he was collecting litter from the route or some other productive use of his time and energy.

In reply to CMCM:

The mind boggles. Why not carry a fridge or a prophylactic vending machine, or an Austin Seven - I'm sure that hasn't been done before.

McHeath 09 Aug 2019
In reply to CMCM:

Bet the Chamonix MR team ist really looking forward to the 30th of August. 

eschaton 09 Aug 2019
In reply to overdrawnboy:

Is raising over 10,000 single handedly (so far) for a charity that helps veterans struggling with ptsd and in many cases suicidal and raises awareness alongside not a productive use of his time and energy?

eschaton 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Michael Griffith:

Because he will row the height of mt blanc when he gets there, has that been done before?

tehmarks 09 Aug 2019
In reply to eschaton:

Indeed. I think it's more a sad reflection on society that these sort of stunts are necessary to grab attention than on the guy doing it - assuming he has the capabilities to make it a realistic challenge without becoming someone else's burden of course.

Bon courage!

Post edited at 00:22
1philjones1 09 Aug 2019
In reply to CMCM:

It’ll be interesting to see what the Mayor of St Gervais says about this. As we know, he’s becoming more and more strict about ‘access’ to the Gouter route and I don’t recall seeing a Concept rower on the required kit list that the gendarmes have been given to check!

jezb1 03 Sep 2019
In reply to Fredt:

That boils my piss.

He should be billed for its removal.

Iamgregp 03 Sep 2019
In reply to Fredt:

What a f*cking bellend.  

AlanLittle 03 Sep 2019
In reply to jezb1:

And fined for littering

Toby_W 03 Sep 2019
In reply to CMCM:

Seems to be a fuss over nothing.  No idea why you'd carry a rowing machine up a mountain even for charity but from the BBC and other sites, the weather closed in on him so he carried it back down to the nearest refuge stowed it and is planning to go up and collect it.

Cheers

Toby

summo 03 Sep 2019
In reply to CMCM:

The problem is that you have a mountain where access, hut bookings etc are already potentially sensitive or problematic and this muppet just adds fuel to the fire. 

Edit. Concept 2s aren't cheap. Sounds like an opportunity for the quick witted and fit to benefit here. 

Post edited at 16:38
 jon 03 Sep 2019
In reply to summo:

> Edit. Concept 2s aren't cheap. Sounds like an opportunity for the quick witted and fit to benefit here. 

I'm surprised it hasn't found its way into a crevasse. Somehow...

WaterMonkey 03 Sep 2019
In reply to jon:

> I'm surprised it hasn't found its way into a crevasse. Somehow...

So it’s ok up the mountain as long as you can’t see it? Or retrieve it?

jon 03 Sep 2019
In reply to WaterMonkey:

It'd find its way out in fifty years or so. Might need oiling, of course.

Chris Sansum 03 Sep 2019
In reply to Toby_w

Sounds more like he got tired on the way up, dumped his rowing machine in the Vallot refuge (which is a shelter for use in emergencies only), then ascended the additional 450 metres to summit the mountain, then just went down and left it in the emergency refuge. 

He had decided he was too tired to take it up and down, but nevertheless had plenty of energy to climb up to the summit and back after he had left it in the emergency hut. Bit of a p*ss take if you ask me. The mayor has every right to be annoyed.

And to contemplate carrying a machine like this up a crowded mountain route with such a high accident rate seems a little ignorant and reckless.

People sometimes seem to think that doing something for charity is more important than respecting the environment they are inflicting themselves upon. He should be charged for the safe recovery by helicopter of the rowing machine. The mayor has suggested a very reasonable figure for the recovery cost, and it seems only fair that he coughs up.

Post edited at 18:21
 DaveHK 03 Sep 2019
In reply to CMCM:

Just looking at some discussion of this between French friends on Facebook. It might not surprise you to learn that they don't approve.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...