UKC

Chamonix early September

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jcoup 06 Jun 2019

Looking likely that the only time i'm getting off work this summer for an alpine trip is very early September. 

Has anyone got any info on what conditions are like at that time of year in Cham? I know it really depends on how hot its been but generally are the ridges and rock routes in the Rouges still okay / is it likely to rain a lot? I know glaciers could be a bit of an issue on the other side but what routes will still be safe? 

Mark Haward 06 Jun 2019
In reply to jcoup:

Usually blessedly quiet. Conditions vary hugely year to year. Much of the snow is stripped on the Rouges side which makes some areas more accessible with approach shoes but others more of a slog as the snow hides long loose scree slopes. Routes are all usually still okay.

In the main massif some open bergshrunds make access to certain routes entertaining / difficult. Always plenty to do though, just check in with the OHM on line or in person for up to date info. Some of the mixed and many of the snow routes are less likely to be in condition. Rockfall is more likely in certain areas. 

Weather is usually still stable but this is always a lottery whenever you go. If you can, be prepared to be mobile and visit other areas where the weather / conditions are better if necessary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...