UKC

Chamonix: lift options for winter climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jayhigh 04 Nov 2013
What is the most economical/sensible option for using the ski lifts in Chamonix to access climbing routes (Midi: Tacul triangle, Argentiere: Courtes etc.) in February?

Looking at the rates for a fortnight's trip, it looks like the lift pass that includes Grand Montets and the Midi is about 450 euros; given that we are not planning on using lifts every day (i.e. going up, staying in a winter room for a night or two, skiing down) is there a cheaper alternative?

Are single day tickets the only option (at about 50-55 quid each for the highest stations) or can one buy a 5-trip pass or something similar?
 smithaldo 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Jayhigh: just get single tickets. The only really expensive one is the midi which is 40 odd quid a pop. The grand montets was about 20 quid for a single i think. The abri Simond is ccccccccccold in feb!
 JohnV 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Jayhigh: or 5 day non consecutive mbu pass?
OP Jayhigh 05 Nov 2013
In reply to smithaldo:

Thanks. I think that will be the way forward.
 smithaldo 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Jayhigh: p.s conditions are 'usually' better in march and it 'usually' isn't as cold. Don't underestimate just how cold it can be in feb up there, certainly on any north facing stuff. I would potposne to march if you can, especially if you haven't done owt like it before as the cold zap your energy and motivation very quickly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...