UKC

Climbing Monte Cinto (Corsica) in February

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
EagerHiker 20 Jan 2018

Hi,

I'm considering climbing Monte Cinto in late Feb/early March 2018. I'm a novice to average climber and I've climbed 3 other 2500m+ peaks in the past. I've read a lot of forums which tell me that all months of the year are  good times to climb Monte Cinto. However, I don't find sufficient information/blogs/pictures on climbing Monte Cinto in February or what the weather and climbing conditions would be like. I will not have a 4*4 and hence will need to hike up the 7.5 km route up to the base. From what I've read, I understand it might take 4-5 hours up and 3-4 hours down. Has anyone on this forum climbed Monte Cinto in Winter (preferably close to Feb/Mar)? If so, could you please let me know the following:

1) What sort of temperatures should I expect? I will ensure I have appropriate clothing based on your input.

2) Does the hike time increase significantly in Winter? Should I allow for longer than 8-9 hour hike time?

3) Would the peak be covered in a lot of snow/ice in Feb? Will I need snowshoes or crampons? I do not have crampons and have no climbing experience with it. So if I'm going to have to use crampons, I'll probably have to pass on climbing in Feb and look to climb in Summer.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Post edited at 00:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...