UKC

Écrins digital mapping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rodw 06 Aug 2018

Hi of to the Ecrins Walking and climbing in September and wondered if there is a suitable digital mapping for iPhone or handheld gps that anyone can recommend 

Mike-W-99 06 Aug 2018
In reply to rodw:

I used to recommend iphigenie as you could pick up a one monthly subscription for ign mapping(the french OS). However you now need to buy a yearly subscription instead so its not so good if only out there for a few weeks,

Lusk 06 Aug 2018
 Fiona Reid 06 Aug 2018
In reply to Mike-W-99:

On Android iphigenie seems to work for 7 days before making you pay (having just started it up tonight it might actually count 7 different days rather than calendar days).  It seemed possible to reinstall and get a further 7 days having deleted all the files it created but you have to download the map sections you want again and it ate battery on my phone so I didn't use it much.  Mike didn't get the same trick to work on iPhone though but that's possibly because he'd already installed it and paid for a month in the past.  YMMV, if you installed it at the start of your trip you might well get 7 days free. 

If you have mobile internet signal the Geoportail app is nice but doesn't let you store maps. It's available on both iPhone and Android. 

I often use Open Streetmap via the Oruxmaps app (Android only) but you can access the Open Streetmap stuff via the GPS Tracks app which is available on iPhone and Android. GPS Tracks lets you store data for offline use.

Post edited at 20:13
 ChrisJD 06 Aug 2018
In reply to rodw:

We bought the whole of IGN France at 1:25,000 via memory map and just put on on micro-sd card on phones.

Not cheap, £150, but can use on 5 devices (phones, tablet & PC), and then never without it.

Have done the same with OS for UK at 1.25.000.

Use in in combo with Google maps & OpernStMap.

Post edited at 22:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...