UKC

Dolomites Marmolada West Ridge VF access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Manasseh 31 Dec 2017
Does anyone know if it's possible to access the Marmolada West Ridge via ferrata from the south side, via Rifugio Contrin, thus avoiding the glacier crossings? According to Rockfax the VF is used as a descent from some of the routes on the south face, suggesting it is possible to access it from that side, but there is no mention of it in the VF description.
 ian caton 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Chris Manasseh:
Haven't actually done it, but was planning to use it as descent.

It's a huge scree slope going up to the coll and there are paths or at least a path. Seem to remember there is a path coming down and one that curls back to the foot of the south face.

So have no doubt it's doable. I seem to remember some talk of a ladder to get down from the Coll.
It may even have been sign posted from Contrin, but on that I am less sure.
Post edited at 07:46

I did it a long time ago. As far as I remember its straightforward.
 yelotango 31 Dec 2017

Yes - totally doable, I did it solo in July to avoid the glacier. It` takes about 90mins from Alba di Canazei to Rif Contrin and about another 90mins to the start of the ferrata. It is easy to reverse the ferrata, mostly walking with only a little down-climbing on the south side of the forcella. I stayed overnight at the Rif Contrin and only saw snow on the summit plateau.

Thanks folks, that's all really helpful. Can hardly wait to get on it now!
 beardy mike 31 Dec 2017

If it's any help, the initial glacier is actually very easy and pretty much beneign to cross. There were no crevasses to cross as far as I could see. The one on the normal route is totally different and rather dangerous if the truth be told owing to maniacs doing daft things... if I did it again I'd probably reverse the VF and come back down rather than go down the normal route and witness the chaos!

Heres a blog I wrote about the route:

http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/uncategorized/the-west-ridge-of-marmolada-v...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...