UKC

eiger-rotstock advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blackcat 05 May 2012
Hi im looking at doing the rotstock in summer either by the ferrata or west flank from the station.What i would like to know is whats the route finding like on the way back down to the station,il be trying this only in very good conditions,would it be wise to take a rope with me.Any advice greatly appreciated.
 rogersavery 05 May 2012
In reply to blackcat:
The west flank is very lose - route finding is ok, but don't expect to get down fast

I don't think taking a rope will be much use on the way down, but it might be worth taking a light 20m just incase
 tcashmore 07 May 2012
In reply to blackcat: I think this is the simple via Ferrata just to the right of the North face ? If so, Its very simple to route find on the way up and the way down and no rope is required at all - ask in the guides office in grindelwald and they should give some advice before you set off. They are very helpful and you can rent the via ferreta gear from them if you need it.
aultguish 07 May 2012
In reply to blackcat: Done this last year. Easy route finding up and down. No rope required for decent on West Flank. There is a couple of fixed ropes in place but not really needed, more just to make life easier and faster.
Enjoy
 JohnnyW 08 May 2012
In reply to blackcat:

Yes, I'd agree with the above comments. It's just slabby with loose, that's all.
OP blackcat 08 May 2012
In reply to JohnnyW: thanks everyone for your advice
 Owen Meany 08 May 2012
In reply to blackcat:

There are a few photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/halcrowfox/2848022870/in/set-72157607225541024... (this photo and next 6/7 in that album)

I really enjoyed it - not difficult, great location (including a beautiful natural amphitheatre) and stunning views from the top. If you wanted to be ultra safe I'd probably take a short scrambling rope for the way down as there were a couple of spots where I was grateful for the fixed rope and would have found it a whole lot less enjoyable if they weren't there and I'd not had a short rope as back up.

OM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...