UKC

Eiger N Face Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm trying to work out if the current bare conditions are making it impossible to climb the Eiger's north face at the moment? Does anyone either know of anyone climbing it recently, or know a reliable place online where I could look? Nothing on here/ Camp2Camp so far. Thanks

alexm198 27 Mar 2019

Have heard from someone who tried it recently that there is no ice on the ice hose, and the first ice field doesn't really exist. A Swiss guide sadly died just above the ramp a few weeks back. I'm not aware of the circumstances so can't comment on whether it was conditions-related but certainly doesn't sound great. 

pneame 27 Mar 2019
In reply to alexm198:

https://panocam.skiline.cc/lauberhorn

It's almost unrecognizable - the ice fields are very sketchy looking. 

Mr. Lee 27 Mar 2019
In reply to Tom Chamberlain:

We hoped to try the route this march but changed plans due to the face being very dry. The Alps are currently the driest that I have ever seen them at this time of year (plus a lot of summers). 

Andre Clarke 28 Mar 2019
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Had same issue last year when went to Cham to do north faces. No ice on Ginat or SuperCoiler ; very disappointing.

Rick Graham 28 Mar 2019
In reply to Tom Chamberlain:

IMHO the factors that decide whether to try the 38 route or not depend on weather forecast, stonefall and then conditions, in that order.

Getting off in a storm will be a nightmare, as testified by numerous posters on here. So make sure you can get up and off in any available weather window.

The worst areas for stonefall in summer are around the death bivi and the spider.

Conditions were very dry in July 90 when I did it. The ice hose can be bypassed on the left. The ramp was all scratchy rock climbing in crampons, the scariest bit in these conditions was the ice field leading to the brittle ledges, 50 metres of low angle dinner plating.  Bob ( boB ) told me the ramp was grade III/IV Scottish when banked out, more like VS in crampons or V,5/6 in lean conditions.

If you look at White spider and other books, very dry conditions stripping the first icefield occurred in the 50's, did not stop the Swiss and German climbers then.

Not trying to make it sound simple, most climbers are impressed how much harder the route is than they expected.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...