UKC

Eiger North Face solo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi.

I saw this and decided to post it here.

Does it being in this section?

https://www.planetmountain.com/en/news/alpinism/laura-tiefenthaler-climbs-n...

MS

Slackboot 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Yes it's fine in this section. I didn't realise that there had probably not been another female solo till this one. There are some very talented climbers out there. ☺

Tyler 29 Mar 2022

What I found remarkable was how she had the mental and physical energy to go back the day after a failed attempt. I can’t believe she can have recovered much of either just sat in a train station for half a day. Maybe Swiss train stations are more comfortable than British ones!

Post edited at 12:47
 Sam W 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

> Yes it's fine in this section. I didn't realise that there had probably not been another female solo till this one. 

Is Alison Hargreaves' solo not counted?  I know she picked a route to the left of the face rather than the 1938 route, but thought it still counted as a north face solo?

edit: Reading the article again, they do clarify later in the article, but the first paragraph is a bit misleading.

Post edited at 13:08
 McHeath 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam W:

It's counted as a solo of the NE face (Lauper route), not of the true North face. 

In reply to Slackboot:

Thanks.

Yes they are some very talented climbers around.

In reply to Tyler:

Too right.

Truly remarkable.

ScraggyGoat 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

I heard that one on the ladies in the NLMC climbed the N.F., but never really advertised it as in comparison with what other club members (Fowler et al) were doing at the time didn’t think it notable. Several members of the club were trying to do the classic NF’s as w/e hits from London.  Don’t know whether it was solo or not; my memory is hazy and it was over twenty years ago that someone mentioned it.

ERNIESHACK 29 Mar 2022

Yes there are some amazing climbers out now.

I am sure Alison Hargreaves was over 6 months pregnant too. God rest her and her poor Tom's soul. 2 great souls lost to the mountains.

65 29 Mar 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Weekend alpine trips were a bit of a thing c.30 years ago, partly with cheap flights. Andy Fanshawe and Ulrich Jessop did the Croz on the Jorasses and the Eiger NF in the same winter, both iirc on weekend trips though I think they drove in Andy's wee hatchback. 

TobyA 29 Mar 2022
In reply to 65:

Gosh, it must be 30 years since Andy was killed as well? I think it was just before I moved to Scotland and started regularly winter climbing - which was Autumn 1992.

Jessop was another of the early 90s names, a dark horse who climbed mega hard stuff. Do you know if he still paraglides? My mate got to know him that way subsequent to his hard climbing.

65 29 Mar 2022
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, it is 30 years since he died. Bloody hell that brought it back. The nicest and most guileless guy you could ever meet, such a massive loss. He'd be pushing 59 now.
Re UJ, he came up in conversation a few years back and it was said he had moved to France, but I don't know more than that. I didn't know him, I knew his wife Cathy very vaguely through mutual friends, and she tragically died on their honeymoon, not long before we lost Andy. That was a terrible period for him.

Post edited at 20:11
 Phil1919 29 Mar 2022
In reply to ERNIESHACK:

I think she climbed the Eiger as a roped pair when she was 6 months pregnant.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...