UKC

Europaweg difficulty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Helenhj 06 Jan 2018
Hi I am doing the Haute route in the summer with my husband and 2 boys. We are keen walkers regularly doing UK peaks. I am confident that we are all capable of the 2 week alpine trail however I keep reading warnings about the europaweg section. Assuming it is open I would like an idea of exactly how difficult it is in comparison to U.K climbs such as Skye's Bruach na Frithe and Bla Bheinn both of which we did last year. Thanks
 jon 06 Jan 2018
In reply to Helenhj:

It's wrong to think of it as a climb.
cb294 06 Jan 2018
In reply to Helenhj:

The bit I have seen (below Dom hut) is a maintained hiking path, so not difficult at all, even though some sections are somewhat exposed. One section further up the valley had been closed for a couple of years due to rock fall danger, making it necessary to descend almost all the way to the valley floor (1000m vertical gain IIRC), which is of course strenuous, but since last year this section is apparently bypassed by a 500m long suspension foot bridge that your boys should love!

CB
Removed User 06 Jan 2018
In reply to Helenhj:

We only did the first section to the Europahutte last year as the bridge after the hut hadnt opened(last week in June). Its a fairly exposed path most of the way with a few dodgy gullys to cross where there is a risk of stonefall with a rickety bridge across the largest one. Not a climb but you have to be aware of the dangers.

We found the ascent to the Col de Riedmatten very loose and people coming down it knocking rocks down quite scary. The ladders to the left on the Pas de Chevres look quite vertical but probably safer if anyone is descending the Col. The only other difficult section was the descent from the Col de Parfleuri where there was a snow slope and crampons were needed (I carry Katoolas -stretch over your boots in seconds and just handy) although the snow might have gone by July.
Helenhj 07 Jan 2018
In reply to cb294:

Thanks CB we are walking from St Niklaus to Europa hut then onto Zermatt. The bridge is now open and looks awesome. It sound like this now crosses some of the worst of the rock fall area.
Helenhj 07 Jan 2018
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

Thanks Jess were going in August but good tip on taking Katoolas. Sounds like as far as the hike is concerned strenuous but not technical. Rockfall is the only concern. Will just have to keep an eye on the europaweg.ch site for info on whether the path is open or not nearer the time. Fingers crossed.
 RX-78 07 Jan 2018
In reply to Helenhj:

My wife and I did the tour de Monta Rosa about 2 years ago, the route on the approach to zermatt is the same. At the time our only option was to descend to the valley, nice views but boring compared to the rest of the hike.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...