UKC

First Female mountain guide interview.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Here is a link to an interview with Martine Rolland, she was the first female European mountain guide in 1983, She and her husband live local to me and write the local guidebook, both real nice people and both still climb hard. Its in French but worth translating 

https://ablock.fr/martine-rolland-je-suis-une-alpiniste-avant-detre-une-fem...

Doug 28 Apr 2021
In reply to ecrinscollective:

thanks, although it depends what you mean by mountain guide as Gwen Moffat was working as a guide in the 1950s & there may have been others outside France

summo 28 Apr 2021

Brede Arkless was 2nd British, after Gwen.

Edit / digression. John Brailsford (dad of sky cycling team Dave) was an early Guide and did live in Briancon, but I don't now if he's still alive. Man of many talents. He'd know more of the early days. 

Post edited at 19:35
In reply to Doug:

Don't tell the French there are guides who aren't French it will blow their minds . i think they mean french or main land European.

for me i think it is interesting and I think going through ENSA and all the politics that go with it, at that time as a female must have been very hard. 

Post edited at 19:52
 JeanMilburn 29 Apr 2021

Well

In reply to Doug:

> thanks, although it depends what you mean by mountain guide as Gwen Moffat was working as a guide in the 1950s & there may have been others outside France

They specify European in the post

Doug 29 Apr 2021
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

and the UK is part of Europe, I suspect they meant UIAGM recognised but they didn't write that.

wercat 29 Apr 2021
In reply to Doug:

she was my downstairs neighbour back in the 90s

In reply to wercat:

Is that like friends with benefits?

In reply to Doug:

> and the UK is part of Europe, I suspect they meant UIAGM recognised but they didn't write that.

I took that to mean mainland Europe but that's me.

wercat 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

not exactly ....

GGD 13 May 2021

Is she the wife of the infamous JJ Rolland?

Monsieur Cambron would be rolling in his grave to hear the Rollands have no inherited the title of writing *the* guidebook to the Ecrins.

In reply to GGD:

She is JJ wife. Having climbed with both JJ and Cambon, they are both really nice people, but just didn't get on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...