UKC

Forgotten Twin slope angle - Aonach Mor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BURTON83 14 Oct 2021

Does anyone know the approximate angle of slope on forgotten twin or right twin when it’s snow covered? 

Pinch'a'salt 15 Oct 2021
In reply to BURTON83:

Can't tell you the exact slope angle, but I do remember looking at it quite seriously as a possibility for a ski descent back in the mid-90s when I worked up at NR so that gives an idea of general angle (ie steep but not very steep...) - pretty sure it had had a descent or two prior to that, and has had the occasional descent this century... vague memory says there is a steeper section in the middle, but large parts of it would be skiable in good conditions so that probably puts it at 50 degrees tops and a bit more for the steep bit.

Cameron94 16 Oct 2021
In reply to BURTON83:

Similar to pinch a salt, I used to stand at the top quite often while working for NR thinking it had potential to go on skis in good seasons but I never fully tested this idea so I've only been down about 35m of it on foot. 

The slope angle is going to depend on the season really and what the winds have been up to. I'd make a guess that it fluctuates between 45* and perhaps as much as 70* on the steepest section/ the scarp slope. 

It also has a steepening about two thirds down and an icy pitch at the bottom. I'm sure it saw some ski descents in the 00's though. 

https://www.huntermountaineering.co.uk/2010/02/forgotten-twin-aonach-mor/

https://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/item.php?crag=649&route=Forgotten+Twi...

Out of interest why are you curious about the slope angle? 

OP BURTON83 19 Oct 2021
In reply to Cameron94:

Thanks, this is really helpful. 

I was asking because I’m basically looking for gullies/faces that are a challenge, but fairly easily soloed, without being too severe. Typically like your 45/50 degree faces in the Alps. 

Based on that, if you know of any routes like that during the Scottish winter it’d be appreciated. 

OP BURTON83 19 Oct 2021
In reply to Pinch'a'salt:

Thanks very much. The level of info’s really helpful. 

ebdon 19 Oct 2021
In reply to BURTON83:

You need to be a little bit careful for many of these easier gully routes as they can be heavily corniced, I've known several soloists to be badly caught out by the top few meters of an otherwise straightforward climb. 

DaveHK 19 Oct 2021
In reply to BURTON83:

> Thanks, this is really helpful. 

>  

> I was asking because I’m basically looking for gullies/faces that are a challenge, but fairly easily soloed, without being too severe. Typically like your 45/50 degree faces in the Alps. 

> Based on that, if you know of any routes like that during the Scottish winter it’d be appreciated. 

TBH conditions on the day will be far more important in determining difficulty than average angle.

Many grade I snow routes will have sections of 45-50 degrees.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...