UKC

Gouter ridge record time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ford23 14 Apr 2019

Does anyone know what the record for Chamonix -> Mt Blanc  summit is via goutier route or what the fastest UK time is? Or where to find out these random facts?

jon 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Roberttaylor:

... via the Gouter?

OP ford23 14 Apr 2019
In reply to ford23:

*Gouter route

Roberttaylor 14 Apr 2019
In reply to jon:

My bad!

kenr 15 Apr 2019
In reply to ford23:

> record for Chamonix -> Mt Blanc  summit is via the Gouter route?

Since the Gouter route does not much connect from Chamonix, it does not make sense to have a record for that.

Need to pick some other starting point for a Gouter route "record".

? St-Gervais-les-Bains ?

Record times for starting from Chamonix are normally established without specifying the route (choice likely depends on condition of different glaciers, season of the year, etc).

I'll leave it to others to explain how the "Gouter" route became so popular (and how likely this popularity is to continue?)

Ken

wbo 15 Apr 2019
In reply to kenr:. Split it at the hut and it's the easiest route by a way I guess.  Not as long as TresMonts and comparatively low objective danger

Mel Turnbull 17 Apr 2019
In reply to ford23:

Why whats the point enjoy the day

Mel Turnbull 17 Apr 2019
In reply to ford23:

I took my son up it at 15 in 91 any one younger done it brits I mean

profitofdoom 17 Apr 2019
In reply to ford23:

> Does anyone know what the record for Chamonix -> Mt Blanc  summit is via goutier route or what the fastest UK time is? Or where to find out these random facts?

I don't see how anyone can ever know the fastest world or UK time for any climb, event or race where careful records are not kept (as they are in for example Olympic races). E.g. even if we knew J. Bloggs climbed it in X hours X minutes on 10.10.2019, because his time was recorded/ verified, how could you ever possibly know that M. Bloggs didn't do it faster on her ascent, because her time was not recorded/ verified??

So you can find out the fastest recorded time, but you can never ever know the "record"

GraB 17 Apr 2019
In reply to profitofdoom:

Surely a "record" is just that? i.e. a fastest recorded time. If its not the fastest recorded time and somebody has done it faster but not informed anybody then hats-off and all that but its not a record - by definition. Who might keep a record of such things is different question.

profitofdoom 17 Apr 2019
In reply to GraB:

> Surely a "record" is just that? i.e. a fastest recorded time. If its not the fastest recorded time and somebody has done it faster but not informed anybody then hats-off and all that but its not a record - by definition. Who might keep a record of such things is different question.

I see your point, but The Cambridge English dictionary has 2 relevant meanings for the noun "record": "a piece of information or a description of an event that is written on paper or stored on a computer", and "the best or fastest ever done". In this second sense, it means the best or fastest ever DONE, and not the best or fastest ever RECORDED - so to me, somebody doing it faster but not informing anybody is in fact a record. I hope I made my meaning clear! Thanks

DaveHK 23 Apr 2019
In reply to profitofdoom:

> So you can find out the fastest recorded time, but you can never ever know the "record"

For that reason these things are generally referred to as FKTs or fastest known times.

Post edited at 22:03
 DaveHK 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Mel Turnbull:

> Why whats the point enjoy the day

If you're fit moving fast is enjoyable and a fast time on something can be a source of lasting satisfaction.

Post edited at 22:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...