UKC

Gouter Route regs and one day solo ascent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 21 May 2019

No firm plan as yet but thinking about this in July. Likely to go from car park above Bionnassay leaving midnightish (or perhaps earlier) up to top train station then up and down by Gouter route.

Given all the new regs and accompanying rumpus does anyone know if I'm likely to get any hassle from the authorities? My feeling is that's highly unlikely but thought I'd canvas opinions.

Edit: I understand all the usual caveats about solo glacier travel.

Post edited at 20:19
 tingle 22 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Im assuming it will be fine as its obvious you arent planning on staying the night on the mountain. I have looked into this before and the solo guided valley to valley tour sets off late evening if i remember correctly maybe 7/8. Just food for thought! 

Enty 22 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I did exactly this last July. I got the train to Nid d'Aigle then hiked up to the TR hut.
The Gendarme at the small shed just before the TR hut collared me and said I shouldn't continue. I explained that I had 2 nights reserved at the TR hut and he let me go.

E

OP DaveHK 22 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Cheers folks.

OP DaveHK 22 May 2019
In reply to tingle:

> the solo guided valley to valley tour 

I don't get that, how can something be solo and guided?

OP DaveHK 22 May 2019
In reply to Enty:

Sorry enty, did you actually have a booking or were you telling the guy fibs?

tingle 22 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I meant as in the ones i saw would only take one person because it would be a focus on speed. I just took their itinerary to put into my own planning so i knew what timings to aim for at different points. 

Enty 22 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> Sorry enty, did you actually have a booking or were you telling the guy fibs?

I did have a booking. I had the reservation email in my sack but he didn't ask to see it.

E

OP DaveHK 22 May 2019
In reply to Enty:

> I did have a booking. I had the reservation email in my sack but he didn't ask to see it.

> E

Ok, that won't work for me as I'm planning valley to valley in a day.

summo 22 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

You want to be aiming for the summit at sunrise, back work your timings from there. Unless of course you are exceedingly fast, I'd be leaving earlier than you. 

OP DaveHK 22 May 2019
In reply to summo:

> You want to be aiming for the summit at sunrise, back work your timings from there. Unless of course you are exceedingly fast, I'd be leaving earlier than you. 

I'm planning to do it running style. I did the Gran Paradiso normal route car to car in 4.48 but prepared for MB to potentially take twice as long. Hadn't really settled on a start time yet.

Post edited at 18:51
 summo 22 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> I'm planning to do it running style. I did the Gran Paradiso normal route car to car in 4.48 but prepared for MB to potentially take twice as long. Hadn't really settled on a start time yet.

If you are hill fit then it's do-able in less than 10 hrs even for non Kilian mortals. Acclimatisation of course will make a big difference. 

You still need to obviously plan your timings for the best snow conditions and matching your foot wear. You won't move fast if it's all gone to sugary porridge. 

Navigation, know your route, even lower down. A full moon wouldn't be a bad thing. If you've got a good memory for relocating things,  you can dump /hide a bit of food and water heading up. If you dump near the gouter hut or just above, make it orange flavoured and folk will just think it's some campers piss bottle and not touch it!! 

The crecasse risk will vary and it certainly depends on what kind of summer there is. Ask for local knowledge nearer the day and in the office in town. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...