UKC

Guide Book Advice for Weissmeis please...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigHairyIan 06 May 2013
Having read this: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=548601 I am tempted to go to the Saas Fee area. However I am not doing very well looking for "in print" or "in stock" guide books to the region. Partly this is because I have no idea about the region at all, so am not sure what I am looking for...

Please can someone advise me of a good English guide book to the region?

Thanks.
graham F 06 May 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan: Martin Moran's 4000m Peaks of the Alps is the most up to date guidebook to the area, but only covers the 4000m peaks...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-4000m-Peaks-Alps-Selected/dp/0900523662/ref=sr_...

Otherwise it's the AC Valais Alps East.
OP BigHairyIan 06 May 2013
In reply to graham F: Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had kind of arrived at that conclusion, but wondered if I was missing something... I'll check out the 4000ers guide book.
 Blinder 06 May 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan: Which route are you thinking of? And when?
In reply to Blinder: My interest has only just been awakened by reading the other thread. I am "hoping" to go to the Alps again in four years, when my climbing partner daughter is 16 and I will be 50! So at the moment I am just collecting info. I have previously been to Cham and the Piz Badile...
 Blinder 06 May 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan: In reply to If you are set on the Weissmess, look up the routes online there is lots of info. But the classic route from the south is un-glaciated (return via route of accent), or the route from the north Weissmeis hut or hoesaas hut is glaciated. Or the traverses from the south is the classic 2 day exped. Maybe the lagginhorn would also be a good objective. (This information is based on arm chair observations ( via binoculars)). I embarrassingly have never been up the Weissmies.
In reply to Blinder: Thank you for that.
 David Barratt 07 May 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan: HIGHLY recommend the route from Almageller hut. We used the 4000m peaks guide while we were out there.
 jonesieboy 07 May 2013
In reply to David Barratt:
> (In reply to BigHairyIan) HIGHLY recommend the route from Almageller hut. We used the 4000m peaks guide while we were out there.

Me too. It was our second 4000m peak, and we had a great day out. It's got it all for an inexperienced party - scramble, short narrow arete and a straightforward plod down, with the comfort of masses of guided parties coming up as you descend to a cold beer at the Hohsass gondola station.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...