UKC

Helmet in hand luggae

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PeterM 04 Jun 2018

I'm flying to Geneva from Edinburgh at the start of July and while planning things, someone suggested not putting my helmet in my hold luggage. I cannot find anything that says one cannot carry it as hand luggage and posts in the search are none too recent. I understand that wearing big boots is ok, but is a helmet ok in hand luggage?

Cheers,

Peter

timjones 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

Why wouldn't you put your helmet in the hold?

It's not heavy and it's easy enough to pack it safely.

Dark-Cloud 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

Helmets are fine as carry on, in winter lots of folk carry on ski helmets.

OP PeterM 04 Jun 2018
In reply to timjones:

It's a polystyrene type, not unlike a cycle helmet. I'd imagine it'd be easy to snap or crush. Maybe a hardshell ABS helmet would fare better. If it hadn't been mentioned to me I'd have probably just put it in hold luggage without much thought.

OP PeterM 04 Jun 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Ta for the reply.

Hannah V 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

I've been carrying my climbing helmet as hand luggage for years and never had a problem!

Post edited at 12:49
 trish1968 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

I always carry my helmet as hand luggage not had a problem

Bob Hughes 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

recently flew Madrid - Mallorca with a bike helmet in hand luggage and it was fine. So were the spd pedals which look like mini hand grenades in the X-ray...  

LastBoyScout 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

I've carried snowboard and cycle helmets in hand baggage without any issue.

It's peace of mind for me that such a fragile item hasn't suffered unknown damage at the hands of the baggage handlers.

timjones 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

> It's a polystyrene type, not unlike a cycle helmet. I'd imagine it'd be easy to snap or crush. Maybe a hardshell ABS helmet would fare better. If it hadn't been mentioned to me I'd have probably just put it in hold luggage without much thought.

It's the lack of thought that is probably the issue

If you pack well with your helmet in the centre of our bag with a rolled up towel or fleece inside it aand either your rope or more clothes around it you should be fine. I've got away with at least twice a year for the last10 to 12 years.

Bear in mind that you will always hear more from one person who packed badly than the many who have got it right.

OP PeterM 04 Jun 2018

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

Mr. Lee 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

I took mine in hand luggage for that very reason as was worried about it getting damaged. You could even wear it if you're really short on space - you can never be too safe! 

chiroshi 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

I flew last week Geneva - Mallorca return with a helmet in my hand luggage as we only had one checked bag between me and my partner and helmets are quite bulky to put in the hold.

No problems at all, just as others have said, stuff it with a jumper or something, and maybe put it in a bag to prevent scratches.

Toerag 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

> It's a polystyrene type, not unlike a cycle helmet. I'd imagine it'd be easy to snap or crush.

Mate of mine had this happen to his in hold luggage, definitely worth keeping it in hand luggage.

jas128 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

Have always taken my helmet with my hand luggage and never had a problem. Not necessarily in the bag as it's still quite bulky. Always figured if anyone was going to have an issue with it I could wear it and claim it as a hat/I was terrified of air travel and it made me feel safer/religious head covering (pastafarian offshoot?!)

baron 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

Helmets are often seen swinging from the carry on rucksacks of skiers and boarders and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Well except for them taking up valuable overhead locker space and/or smashing your fellow travellers in the face with them.

You'll be fine.

angry pirate 04 Jun 2018
In reply to PeterM:

A few of us put helmets in carry on luggage on a Ryan Air flight to Rjukan this February. Security didn't bat an eyelid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...