UKC

How about La Sportiva G5 for Alpamayo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Angel Acosta 01 May 2019

Hey everybody! .. I'll like to know your opinion on using La Sportiva G5 on a trip to Peru next August, everybody i ask tell me i need double boots for such feat, but im not so sure.

The idea is to make Yannapacha , Alpamayo and Quitaraju i dont have particularly cold feet and the extra cash for double boots its significant, i appreciate your advice, thanks a lot!

George.D 02 May 2019
In reply to Angel Acosta:

Anecdotally I know lots of people do 6000ers in Peru in single boots e.g. G5s, Scarpa Phantom Techs, Arcteryx Acrux - the conditions here seem to generally be a bit warmer than Nepal and, particularly if you are in the "light and fast" camp, it seems feasible. Conversely I have seen several people turn back at 6000m in Nepal wearing single boots. Query how much risk you want to take that things are colder than expected vs. the benefits you think you get from G5s over G2s. For my money, I think G2s are pretty good compromise of weight and warmth, but I can see the appeal of a single boot.

robgixer 03 May 2019

Hi, I have been there twice now and the first time on Yannapacha and peaks below 6000m wore only single leather B2 boots and didn't have a problem. Last year I wore Scarpa phantom guides, and had slightly cold feet. This is due to the routes being a bit slower paced like Alpamayo and it was just generally a lot colder up high. Personally I think G5,s will be ok unless doing routes that require bivi on route or where you will be doing pitched climbing quite a lot. Have fun it's a great place

jonnie3430 03 May 2019

I did it in Nepal extremes, which were fine. You do need to make sure they don't freeze over night though, but you'd have to do that for any boot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...