UKC

In Pinn height change.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Lates 26 Apr 2007
The Inaccesible Pinnacle of Sgurr Dearg has been rocked probably by a massive lightning bolt this winter (but possibly a Munro bagger with semtex?)
The result is that the top has now changed to being the "Bolster" stone- the one with the abseil change around it.
Previously it had been measured as the more easterly, more easily reached boulder. This is now clearly more than a foot lower in height after being literally blown away/to bits.
Touching the top is now a game scramble for those over 5'6'' but a more nervy step out into space for those any smaller or wanting to stand on the summit. A fittingly bold finale to the Pinn experience for everyone with it left to "bag" I'm sure.
Practically there will be confusion and debate up there in the annual May bank holiday madness as folk try to make the proposition safe. This is limited to a "bottom-rope" stopping you dropping down the other side if you slip. The result is likely to be even longer queues......
5 different rockfalls have happened. The biggest is a section about 4m*4m*10m just to the left of the west ridge
which should have no effect for most folk. The 3 sections that have come off the south face have littered the slabby areas directly below the Pinn and on the horrible slabby appproach from Coire lagan. Nasty- say no more.
The climbs on the south face left of South Crack will need a lot of caution.
Clues on an easy way to post the pics welcome(I mail them to you- you post them on yourspace?)
Cheers
 Simon Caldwell 27 Apr 2007
In reply to mike lates:
I thought I was the only one ever to bother with the actual top! From what I've seen, most people seem to just get to the main platform and then ab off, but presumably give themselves the tick anyway.
 Norrie Muir 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> (In reply to mike lates)
> I thought I was the only one ever to bother with the actual top! From what I've seen, most people seem to just get to the main platform and then ab off, but presumably give themselves the tick anyway.

Only red sock ramblers stand on the top.
Removed User 27 Apr 2007
In reply to mike lates:

Does this mean that, if the original summit has now gone, we all have to go and do it again?
 Simon Caldwell 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
I resent that. My socks are grey.
tmh 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Does the same apply to the Cobbler?
 Norrie Muir 27 Apr 2007
In reply to tmh:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
>
> Does the same apply to the Cobbler?

What, being hit by lightning, not that I've heard.
Anita 27 Apr 2007
In reply to tmh:
The Cobbler's not a munro so no red socks in sight...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...