UKC

Indian Mountaineering Festival 2018

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Damo 09 Apr 2018

https://www.theuiaa.org/documents/mountaineering/Indian-Mountain-Festival18...

Seems the IMF is really pushing ahead with these. They've had them in previous years on the Bara Shigri Glacier (a bit late in the season though) and on the Nun-Kun massif (reportedly pretty crowded) but now they're running four all in one year, at different times in different locations.

The fee for foreigners is not a total bargain, but for anyone who hasn't organised a Himalayan expedition themselves before, it might provide a good introductory experience, as much of the paperwork will seemingly be sorted for you. If you managed to climb two decent peaks in the three weeks then it would probably end up being good value. They may well be a fun social experience too, if you want them to be.

Obviously there could be questions over environmental impact - so many in such a concentrated place - but it need not be a problem if managed well. I think it's good that India is experimenting with this kind of thing because for many climbers, particularly the inexperienced, it makes more sense and might provide a better foundation than everyone faffing around on their own and not getting much done.

Mr. Lee 09 Apr 2018
In reply to Damo:

Nice idea in principle. There seems to be some potentially massive grey areas in the costings though (based on the pdf). The biggest one being porter costs. There must by a lot of communal food, tents etc to transport. I think it would have been more sensible to have included these as a flat fee for the sake of clarity. The lack of control in the organisation process combined with a lack of proper fixed costings spells financial danger to me.

OP Damo 09 Apr 2018
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> There seems to be some potentially massive grey areas i.... The lack of control in the organisation process combined with a lack of proper fixed costings spells financial danger to me.

Welcome to India!

OliverRoss 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Damo:

Cheers for posting.

Sounds very appealing to me having never been before and not knowing where to start with mountain fees, or even which area of the Himalaya I may want to climb.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...