UKC

Insurance for Elbrus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Morts 21 Mar 2018

Hi guys, 

I am heading to Russia (I know, I know) in mid-May and was after first hand information from those of you who's been there recently in terms of insurance? 

My existing travel insurance covers up to 6000m but does specify that it does not cover Caucasus!

Have anyone here got any personal experience with either BMC? SportsGroupDirect or OAV (AAC) or maybe someone else? 

I am mainly after a single trip insurance

Regards 

Morts

Tom Briggs 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Morts:

Virtually all Brits who travel with us to Elbrus are insured with the BMC.

Axel Smeets 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Morts:

Hi there

I went there in July 2017 and used BMC. Their policy did not exclude the region you're visiting (it didn't back in 2017 anyway) and I remember being very surprised at the relative low cost of the policy. I I remember correctly, it covered up to 6000m and had no Russia/Caucasus exclusions (again, to my surprise).  

Didn't make a claim so can't comment on that aspect. 

I'm currently going through a car insurance claim so I know how important it is to get this stuff right (I'm with Admiral car insurance who have so far been excellent and paid out with minimum fuss). 

OP Morts 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Thanks a lot Tom, really helpful !

OP Morts 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Cheers mate! 

tehmarks 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Morts:

I've had recent experience with the insurance component of the AAC. While they've been great in terms of actually paying without argument, they were a nightmare to deal with. I spent five days trying to get them to talk to the hospital I was in and get them to send the hospital the form that I needed to fill out so they could process everything. Five days of sitting in the middle while immobile in a hospital bed, not quite understanding why they couldn't just pick up the phone and call the hospital office directly. The hospital lady was equally exasperated with them.

More recently I've been told that they won't reimburse any expenses I paid for up-front unless I 'first submit all invoices to my social health insurance' in the UK, and that once I've done that and ascertained that my 'social health insurance' won't pay, all invoices needed to be posted to Germany. I mean that's mostly reasonable...but it's not what the other person in the office said last week!

TL;DR: they do what they say on the tin, no concerns, but they're apparently an organisational nightmare.

tfwheeler 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Morts:

Also went in July 2017. Used BMC seemed like good value. we also had general travel insurance that covered political instability cancellations to the travelling regions just in case. Obviously, didn't cover when on the mountain but would have paid out the cost if we had to cancel because the political situation went up the creek. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...