UKC

Jebel Toubkel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 17 Dec 2018

Have you done this peak?

I know it's only a 4000+ m trek, but what's it like?

Interesting? Worthwhile or not?

Mal Grey 17 Dec 2018
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

Weirdly, this wouldn't let me post text until I'd posted a blank message and edited! Simply wouldn't fully load.

If you just head to the Atlas just to go up and down Toubkal, its not that great a climb. Longish scree type track that only gets onto a ridge near the top. The views are, though, very good. However, if you include it as part of a longer trek in the area, it can be wonderful. We did it at the end of a week's circular trek in the area, which was one of the best trips I've done. 

We also did it to arrive on the summit at sunrise, which might involve a little local knowledge to do in the dark but is pretty straightforward. Being acclimatised by then definitely helped. Sunrise from the top, over the rugged, arid Atlas, with the sun rising over the sahara to the east, and the shadow of the mountain reaching out over the plains of Marrakech, was truly gobsmacking.

Post edited at 18:35
 mrphilipoldham 17 Dec 2018

I did it as ‘training’ for my Mt Blanc attempt to see how I coped at 4000m. A non-climbing mate tagged along as he’d never been to Morocco before and was happy with a book at the nice hotel we booked in Imlil for two days while I went solo. Ended up summiting from Imlil and back in a single 12hr push. We cut out stay short and headed back to Marrakesh the next day instead. Take sun screen or you’ll spend the time after with your head under a towel and drinking copious amounts of illicit wine by your riad roof top pool in a vain attempt to hide the pain of a sunburnt face.

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

What time of year were these attempts please?

Anyone tried it in winter?

jcoup 17 Dec 2018
In reply to The Ice Doctor

Did it in Winter a few years back. Was a crazy amount of snow. Spent 5 days in the refuge at the bottom of the mountain, climbed a few other peaks via various ridges in the area to acclimatise which were great. There are also some nice ice falls that form within a 20 min walk of the refuge which offer good quality climbing on rest days. 

I intend to go back in the next few years to try some of the other routes. There’s a lot of rarely climbed lines and I’m not sure why it’s not a more popular winter destination. Also great for ski touring and big mountain ski mountaineering 

Post edited at 20:31

February for Jebel Toubkal, easy going on the whole, rocky scree interspersed with patches of snow.

Iain Thow 17 Dec 2018

Did it in March a few years ago, staying in the Neltner Hut. Up the South Cwm and down the North Cwm, with a couple of detours to minor summits. Good mountain day, not technical but crampons essential. Pretty decent snow if you start at dawn but gets soft quickly. Suspect it's a horrible scree slog in summer. Nearby peaks are good too, Afella and Akhioud, plus the NE Couloir on Ras (PD). If you go across to Tachdirt in the next valley you've also got Anrhemer and the huge N Face of Akhsoual to play about on. Scope for a solid week of excellent easyish winter mountaineering. Des Clark's guide for Cicerone will give you lots of ideas. And the Berber mountain people are great!

Actually no, it was March sorry!

PatrickP 18 Dec 2018

Was there a few years ago for Christmas. Loved it.

+1 for the cicerone guide which will give you a good overview. Routes in the guide are all pretty straightforward if you are relatively competent - I took my old man who had only used crampons a handful of times.

Great Views and great craic at the hut!

THE.WALRUS 18 Dec 2018

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/18/moroccan-police-apprehend-suspe...

The murder took place at Sidi Chamrousch...the standard tea-stop on the tourist path to the refuge,

In reply to THE.WALRUS:

There are murders in London on a weekly basis.

THE.WALRUS 18 Dec 2018

But there aren't in Sidi Chamrousch.

Ian Archer 18 Dec 2018

Did this January 2018. Had 1st night booked in Marrakech and nothing else pre booked. The climb from the hut was very easy technically but some of the best views from a mountain top I've seen in a long time. Stunning views in all directions but we did get very good weather. On the approach to the hut the day before very high winds and soft snow (we had snow on the ground from Imlil) that made us fight for the last hour to the hut and we got there exhausted. I did not feel the altitude too much as it's not much more than 4000m. Also we left over an hour after the main group's (who were all guided) to avoid the congestion. 

I've done a fair bit in the Alps and would say that it's easier than via  normals on a lot of levels (No cravases, etc ) but that would not stop me from dissuading any one from doing it. Particularly if you take the whole trip into account (Marrakech snake charmers and traditional street dentist etc). Your profile says you climbed world wide so the wider experience may not be your priority.

I think it's like  a lot of thing and get good weather it will be enjoyable.Bad weather and it would just be  totally different.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...