UKC

/ Kyrgyzstan Walking Suggestions

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Ramblin dave - on 03 Jan 2018
Hi!

Myself and my partner are kicking around the idea of getting out of our Western-European rut with a walking trip to Kyrgyzstan, this year. There looks to be a lot of stuff there, so I was wondering whether anyone on here had more specific recommendations of where to go, what to do and how to organize it?

Rough specification:
* We're reasonably experienced hillwalkers, and are happy with snow, rough ground and multiple days of wildcamping.
* We haven't done any Proper Alpinisim or glacier travel or anything like that, though, and we aren't after technical climbing.
* We're not specifically after ticking summits (but wouldn't object).
* I'd like to get a bit of an atmosphere of being properly up in the Greater Ranges if possible, rather than "a bit like Europe but quieter".
* We've got a general preference for as much self-sufficiency as possible, but wouldn't rule out hiring a guide to do something really cool that's a bit beyond our skillset.
* We're thinking of going out for a couple of weeks, so I guess we'd be up for one long or a couple of short hikes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
redsonja - on 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Hi there. We were in Kyrgyzstan last year and honestly, it's fab. The area around Karakol is great for multi day trekking. We took 1 week, and crossed 2 high passes of about 3800m and from lake issy-kul, also summited a 4000m peak. There were other folk doing similar stuff but we still felt alone and remote and just wild camped wherever we found somewhere nice. I hope you enjoy it- Kyrgyz people are lovely too and the country felt really safe and mega cheap! If you can learn a bit of Russian and also the alphabet it will help!
Ramblin dave - on 04 Jan 2018
In reply to redsonja:

Thanks, sounds great!

How did you organize it? Was it all self-planned or did you use any sort of commercial provider for anything?
alex.murray - on 10 Jan 2018

Hi Dave,

I recently overlanded through this region and stopped to climb / hike as much as possible. I enjoyed Kyrgyzstan and, as redsonja has already said, there is some great stuff around Karakol but I wasn't quite as blown away by it as I thought I was going to be. Tajikistan, on the other hand, which is just next door was absolutely incredible and if I were you I'd give it some consideration. Areas like the Fann Mountains and Bartang Valley have some fantastic trekking opportunities and it really feels remote (less of a tourist industry still than Kyrgyzstan). It's a bit more difficult to get around but worth it in my view.

This is a blog post we wrote about the Bartang Valley trek.

https://www.shotsatthemoon.com/single-post/2017/09/14/Bartang-Valley-Trek-A-Walk-into-Wilderness

L wadewilson - on 10 Jan 2018

have a good trip
redsonja - on 10 Jan 2018

Hi. we organised it all ourselves. we flew to Bishkek with Turkish airlines, had a couple of days in Bishkek and then got a marshrukta to Karakol. It was very easy, just go to the bus station and say 'Karakol' and someone will show you where to go. From Karakol we got a taxi to jeti orguz, where we started our trek. we had a few days to spare at the end of the trip so went to Kazhakstan, as you don't need a visa any more and we had 3 days in Almaty and the mountains around there. We are going to Tajikistan this year as we have heard it's really good too, as alex.murray says.
woolsack - on 10 Jan 2018

I'm doing the Silk Road Mountain Race in August in Kyrgystan, I could put you in touch with a ski guide in Bishkek, he hires out Uaz 452 vans and would be able to help with logistics if you wanted. PM me if that would be of interest

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.