UKC

Long alpine rock in Slovenia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexm198 28 Aug 2020

Hi folks,

Anyone know any good guidebooks for alpine climbing in the Julian/Kamnik alps? I have the Sidarta winter guide and the Mountaineering in Slovenia book, but neither cover what I’m looking for — long, technical rock routes like Triglav north face. 

Alternatively, if any resident Slovenians want to recommend routes that fit this description, that would be great! 
alex

OP alexm198 28 Aug 2020
In reply to John Kelly:

Awesome, thanks John! That’s exactly the sort of thing I was after. 

John Kelly 28 Aug 2020
In reply to alexm198:

Also maybe worth a look

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3AAlois+Goller&s=re...

Post edited at 18:20
 d_b 30 Aug 2020
In reply to alexm198:

I wrote up some impressions of one of the guidebooks a few years ago here: 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/expedition+alpine/popular_climbing_routes...

Having since used it I can say that in my experience the descriptions and topos are pretty accurate. Translator is either a climber or had some on hand.

The ambient choss level is pretty high so if the guidebook mentions loose or friable rock then it really, really means it.

Simon Yearsley 07 Sep 2020
In reply to alexm198:

“Popular Climbing Routes...” which John recommends is an excellent intro, with good topos  and good enough English language translations. It’s got useful stuff about the (amazing and very welcoming) huts which are at the heart of Slovenian alpinism, and has some cool historical sections too. It covers the north face of Triglau really well. The topo for the Long German Route is pretty spot on.... apart from the timings for the top section from the girdling ledges to the summit, which really need to be doubled! The Julian Alps, are a magical place. Enjoy. 

Post edited at 09:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...