UKC

Mazeno Ridge Success Reported

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JSTaylor 18 Jul 2012
Recent news... Well done Sandy and Rick. Here is to a safe descent.

http://dawn.com/2012/07/18/nanga-parbat-scaled-from-mazeno-side-first-time/
 L.A. 18 Jul 2012
In reply to JSTaylor: That is just so bloody impressive.
 Tim Sparrow 18 Jul 2012
In reply to JSTaylor: Absolutely fantastic achievement. Well done Allan and Allen and O'Dowd.
OP JSTaylor 19 Jul 2012
In reply to JSTaylor:
Sandy and Rick reported to have safely reached base camp. Fantastic effort both.

http://www.facebook.com/CathyODowdEverest
 Tyler 19 Jul 2012
 L.A. 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Tyler: Mid fifties
 Doug 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Tyler: bout my age, so mid fifties
 Andy Nisbet 19 Jul 2012
In reply to JSTaylor:

15 days alpine style. Some stamina!
 Ade Clifford 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet Amazing effort indeed Andy- a bit worrying when they went off the radar for a while though-and both 50+ !!
 Andy Nisbet 19 Jul 2012
In reply to adrian clifford:
> Amazing effort indeed Andy- a bit worrying when they went off the radar for a while though-and both 50+ !!

Old Farts win through again, Adrian!

Lew13 19 Jul 2012
In reply to JSTaylor:

Fantastic effort.
 TobyA 19 Jul 2012
In reply to JSTaylor: It's a fantastic piece of climbing isn't it?! Well done to them.
 Milesy 20 Jul 2012
This is the sort of news that appeals to me. Great job!
 Dave 88 20 Jul 2012
In reply to JSTaylor:

Absolutely nails. Great job.
 Andy Mountains 20 Jul 2012
In reply to JSTaylor:

Was keeping my eye on the website with great interest. Great effort, well done!
In reply to JSTaylor:

Surely one of the greatest 'big' mountaineering achievements by British climbers for many years.
In reply to JSTaylor: Can't help but notice how 'dry' those peaks look. Is that normal?
 David Rose 20 Jul 2012
In reply to JSTaylor: I think they're closer to 60 than 50. I knew them when I was startying out and they were quite a bit older than me. I turn 53 tomorrow.
 Ian Parsons 20 Jul 2012
In reply to davidoldfart:

Many happy returns for tomorrow, David - and I think you're probably right! I recall climbing with Rick in May 1974 when he was a student at Birmingham University; assuming that was towards the end of his first year he must have been at least 18 at the time, and more probably 19 - which I guess would make him at least 57 or thereabouts now.
 Doug 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Ian Parsons: I always thought Rick was a little older than me, so at least 57
 Ian Parsons 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Doug:

I wish he was older than me!
Douglas Griffin 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Doug:

What a fantastic achievement - must be one of the most significant Himalayan ascents for a very long time?

According to their biographies in 'Kingdoms of Experience' (Andrew Greig, 1986), both Rick and Sandy were born in 1955.

I had the pleasure of meeting Rick in a professional capacity when he worked for Texaco in Aberdeen during the 1990s. My wife and I were guests of Rick's at a dinner dance in the city in 1996; at that time all I knew about him was that he had taken a group of people on a trip to the Cairngorms not long before, so by way of an ice-breaker I remember asking him "I hear you do a bit of hillwalking, then?"(!!) It turned out that he'd been on K2 earlier in the year...

I also remember attending a slide show by Rick in the city about 15 years ago, in which he spoke (amongst other things) about his 1995 attempt on the Mazeno Ridge with Doug Scott, Vojtek Kurtyka and others. He must be thrilled to bits - if you are reading this, Rick - many, many congratulations on doing this and getting back down safely.

Doug.

Doug 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Douglas Griffin: we must have been in Aberdeen at the same time, not sure when I first met Rick but remember seeing him often at the circuit training sessions at the Butchart (university sports centre) & in the Blue Lamp in the mid 80s.

Rick, if you're reading this, congratulations - amazing
 Neil Anderson 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Absolutely fantastic effort - I seem to recall Doug Scott had his eye on this line a couple of times.
 glaramara 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Neil Anderson: Aye i went to one of his lectures in Oban and he held up a photo of it and said "to any young lads out there, its not been done yet". Guess us young-uns aren't up to it
 L.A. 27 Jul 2012
In reply to erph: Those pics are amazing ! A really incredible achievement.

Especially liked this one on day 4 with Nanga Parbat`s summit way back still in cloud showing just how far it actually was...
http://mazenoridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/P1010046.jpg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...