UKC

Mont Blanc glaciers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 25 Sep 2019

Whilst we are all aware of the galciers retreating across the world I saw it first hand when I went up to Montenvers, the difference in the glacier from early mid 1990's to now was stark.

Now there are concerns about collapse in Planpincieux glacier on the Grandes Jorasses threatening Courmayeur.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49820542

Not good news, obviously, but what to do about trying to stop this - no easy answers.

felt 25 Sep 2019
In reply to subtle:

> no easy answers.

On a personal level there are plenty. Stop flying and stop eating meat and dairy are extremely easy answers.

felt 25 Sep 2019

In reply to Fergal:

OK then, stop the rest bolting too.

Frank R. 25 Sep 2019

In reply to Fergal:

The horse might have bolted, but there is still some time to prevent the stampede...

Although, it might be a good idea to sell our crampons and ice axes sooner than later 

Frank R. 25 Sep 2019
In reply to felt:

Personal level is somewhat easy, but on the political level - in today's world, with fake news and aplenty, short-sighted politicians willing to sell out the country's young for short term profit and few years in power and frustrated people disbelieving hard facts because "everybody just lies" - it might be bit more difficult. All the more reasons to try hard, though!

Post edited at 11:15
 felt 25 Sep 2019

In reply to:

Lest anyone wonder what all these horses are doing, username Fergal posted something along the lines of, It's too late, the horse has bolted. It seems that his post has now bolted too.

felt 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Frank R.:

Yes, things like Heathrow TR and now this are obviously a massive help:

"At 700,000 sq metres, with four runways, it is expected to be able to handle 72 million passengers a year by 2025. By 2040, the airport is expected to expand to eight runways and accommodate 100 million passengers a year."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/25/daxing-international-airport-...

Simon Caldwell 25 Sep 2019
In reply to felt:

> Stop flying and stop eating meat and dairy are extremely easy answers.

They are certainly responses. Depending on how much you fly and what your current diet is, they may even be easy. But they aren't answers - even if everyone in the world did as suggested there would still be a climate change emergency.

felt 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> They are certainly responses

They are certainly answers to the question the OP was asking; I'm struggling to see the part where I said they were the only answers and that alone they'd be sufficient. In fact I even qualified them as "on a personal level".

I really can't see the difference between:

Q. What to do?

A. This.

and 

Q. What to do?

R. This.

OP subtle 25 Sep 2019
In reply to felt:

> > no easy answers.

> On a personal level there are plenty. Stop flying and stop eating meat and dairy are extremely easy answers.

I'm ok with stopping flying (two flights in last three years) but why stop eating meat and dairy - I can see the cows/pigs/sheep in the fields beside me, if I stop consuming these and shift to a replacement will it not contribute more to "food miles"

Max factor 25 Sep 2019
In reply to subtle:

4 likes for that post. Ok, it is kind of funny. 

Just a little bit of Googling will explain why a more plant based, meat and dairy free diet has a smaller  carbon footprint. So long as you are not subsisting on baby sweetcorn and blueberries.

OP subtle 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Max factor:

> Just a little bit of Googling will explain why a more plant based, meat and dairy free diet has a smaller  carbon footprint. So long as you are not subsisting on baby sweetcorn and blueberries.

Google also gives us this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_RFzJ-nFLY&t=944s&fbclid=IwAR0--7_...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...