UKC

Mt Khuiten, Mongolia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
redsonja 03 Dec 2018

I'm thinking of climbing Mt Khuiten in Mongolia next summer, probably with an organised trip as I will be by myself. I have looked at KE, Adventure peaks and jagged globe. I don't normally do guided trips, just go myself and a friend, so don't know much about any of them really. can anyone advise if one is better than another and why? obviously, I know on a trip like this a lot depends on the weather and mountain conditions. Thanks

Axel Smeets 03 Dec 2018
In reply to redsonja:

I can't speak for KE or AP but I have been on eight Jagged Globe trips and a couple of winter courses and with one exception, they were all extremely well run with excellent leaders. It's a very well run company. 

Mark123 03 Dec 2018
In reply to redsonja:

Over the years, I've been on various JG and KE expeditions about 6 times each, and found them both to be very good and professional companies. (I haven't tried AP yet so I can't comment). I thoroughly enjoyed a KE expedition to Mt Khuiten in 2014. This was very well organised,  well led, great fun and a fabulous area to explore. Here's a link to a short video I made of this expedition.

youtube.com/watch?v=rzMUAuw9KLs&

AndyC 03 Dec 2018
In reply to redsonja:

I have done a few trips with KE, always good although a group trip requires a different mindset to doing it on your own. And group members are the proverbial Forest Gump box of chocolates... you never know what you're going to get until you get there!

I was on the KE prototype Khuiten trip back in 2000 - it was a chuffing long way up the glacier before setting foot on the mountain. I think they put a camp up on the glacier these days! 

redsonja 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Mark123:

Thanks for that- its great. I think I have decided to go with KE. what was the ratio of guide- client on a rope?

redsonja 03 Dec 2018
In reply to redsonja:

Thanks for the replies guys

BobtheBagger 04 Dec 2018

I did this trip with KE five years ago and whilst the standard of climbing required isn't high, if you love travelling in wild, remote mountains, in one of the most beautiful countries, with lovely, hospitable people, then you certainly won't be disappointed. And yes, the long glacier slog is hard but helped by placing a high camp behind a rocky outcrop, near the top, and just below where the climbing starts.  Have fun.

Mark123 04 Dec 2018
In reply to redsonja:

Summit day ratio was 1:3 when I did it. This worked well for this straightforward ascent. 

redsonja 05 Dec 2018
In reply to redsonja:

Thanks for all your help guys. I have booked the trip with KE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...