UKC

NZ short duration (2-3 day) objectives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ams558 12 Jan 2019

Good evening All,

Heading to Queenstown in late March but short of time; does anyone have any recommendations for short duration alpine ascents that can be done in 2-3 days from Queenstown?

I am already tracking a traverse of single/double cone and Mount Earnslaw, but any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I don't have time for longer trips like Aspiring or Aoraki (another time perhaps!!).

Many thanks,

Alex

olddirtydoggy 12 Jan 2019
In reply to ams558:

Bruce peak and steeple peak. Not a load of info on them but easy multi routes on reasonable rock. We got rained off this year but looked fantastic.

ianstevens 12 Jan 2019
In reply to ams558:

When do you mean by “late March”? I’m there around that time if you want a partner and our dates cross. Not much local knowledge though sadly.

Tom Cox 12 Jan 2019
In reply to ams558:

Somnus couloir, bit of a trek in but well worth it and would be doable in a 3 day round trip

AdrianC 12 Jan 2019
In reply to ams558:

Aspiring is do-able in 3 days if you have decent weather and are fit.  Otherwise you could head up to Liverpool Biv and climb Mt Barff.  Mt Avalanche from French Ridge is another option.  An easier one (i.e. easier climbing) would be to camp at the Cascade Saddle and go up Mt Tyndall.

Drop me a line nearer the time if you want conditions information.

AdrianC 12 Jan 2019
In reply to ams558:

If you have wheels and good weather then consider something in the Darrans.  Either day trips from Homer Hut (e.g. Talbot, Moir's Mate, McPerson Talbot Traverse) or go in and bivi somewhere further from the road.

Tom Last 12 Jan 2019
In reply to ams558:

As AdrianC says, you could do Aspiring in three days. We tried (didn’t summit) over fours days, walking in and out along the Matukituki. The day after we climbed, we could easily have walked out instead of taking an extra day - but we’d booked so just getting money’s worth. If you found some partners to heli’ in with it’d be very doable in that time.  

Recommend Earnslaw too. 

Derry 12 Jan 2019
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Bruce peak and steeple peak. Not a load of info on them but easy multi routes on reasonable rock. We got rained off this year but looked fantastic.

I've climbed both. Butterfly Buttress on Bruce and a new route on Steeple Pk. In my honest opinion, this would be tough to do in your timeframe. We spent 4 days which was a day in transit & walk in (and out) and climbed both peaks on a day each. Although it was incredible, we had very favourable weather (pointed out to us when a friend told us about their epic in strong winds). Sorry for being really neggy,  and not trying to put you off but with a 2-3 day time limit, I reckon you should go for something that is a bit easier to get to, and as pointed out, with more info about it. It's a lot of walking (tramping) for the amount of time spent climbing. Happy to email you any details though

Tobes 12 Jan 2019
In reply to ams558:

It’s possible to go for Mt Aspiring SW ridge (class route) in 3 days - 1 up to French Ridge hut but keep going onto Bonar glacier and bivvy below route 2 climb SW ridge and descend back to French ridge hut (via NW ridge iirc) 3 back out to Raspberry flats. 

Sharks tooth also in the Aspiring area 1 day up n down.

other options, Mt Brewster 2 day (small hut up there) 

re: the Darrens, gets alot of rain! days/weeks at a time - fine If you’ve got plenty of spare time to wait it out

Damo 13 Jan 2019
In reply to ams558:

Mt Brewster. Good access, great hut.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...