UKC

Pyrenees- How Snowy Was The Winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

We're planning a family hike for July, including some high passes. Balaitous/Vignemale area. Yes it's some way off yet, but I'd be interested to know how much snow there currently is...? Thanks

john arran 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Still quite a lot above about 1800m but it look set to be one of the earliest-clearing winters for a while, so unless some bad storms happen in the next few weeks I would think July should be as clear as you could hope for.

leon 1 29 Mar 2019

Check out albergesyrefugios aragon webcam

Pics from all the refuges webcam

(Sorry can't link to it at the moment )

Post edited at 09:51

Thanks both, sounds promising John

tagscuderia 29 Mar 2019

I walked Stage 2 of the HRP last July and it was only the Port du Lavedan (ice field) and the Col de Fache (slushy snow) that proved tricky; crampons were necessary for the PdL, we took the variant route. Refuge Wallon (avoid like the plague!) to Refuge Baysellance was free of snow but a week earlier apparently also required crampons and axe.

There was late snowfall last year and apparently a lot more snow hung on than normal so given the lean winter just gone, I wouldn't expect there to be much left come July.

P.S. definitely stay at Refuge d'Arremoulit, it's beautiful!

In reply to tagscuderia:

Great, thanks! It's good to have refuge recommendations: I would normally camp, but with two small kids we're taking the easy option

martin09 29 Mar 2019

completely agree with John but note that snow is forecast next week over several days - quantity unknown so worth a further check in a few weeks.

Pyreneenemec 31 Mar 2019
In reply to tagscuderia:

> P.S. definitely stay at Refuge d'Arremoulit, it's beautiful!

Good idea, the Arremoulit hut is being enlarged which will probably ruin things for ever. The  C.A.F sadly think that bigger is better. 

Frank R. 01 Apr 2019
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Really? That's sad - the lakeside itself is pretty cramped as it is, it can't take too many people. I am afraid any enlargement won't help but bring more... Wallon is an easy walk from car parking at Pont d'Espagne, therefore it can be quite crowded

Pyreneenemec 01 Apr 2019
In reply to Frank R.:

The enlargement will add an extra 15 places, so there is hope that the hut retains some of it's charm.

I was there last August, walked up from the Caillou de Socques, by way of the famous Passage Orteig. ( approach over 1000m. A real killer with a huge sack !). There are easier options via  the Petit Train d'Artouste !  Bivvied by the lake but ate in the hut ( food most acceptable ! ). A magical place !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...