UKC

Qualification comparisons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jakent90 10 Apr 2018

Hi,

I've recently started working towards my ML qualification and all was going well. I've recently seen a course run by a well known company in new Zealand that is an expedition leader course. 

Now I'm just wondering if I was to do this course with the company in NZ can that qualification be used in the UK to get me jobs as a mountain leader. Or would I still have to do my ML.

From what I have read the course run by the company in NZ is a lot more.in depth and is actually taught throughout Asia and South America.

Any advice or information on this would be greatly received as I'm struggling to find any solid info.

Thanks in advance

James

In reply to Jakent90:

Hi James,
Contact Mountain-Training directly, and they'll be able to give you a proper answer.

jezb1 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Jakent90:

It'll be up to your employer, or your insurance company if you're self employed.

There isn't a legal requirement in the UK to hold any ticket, or even insurance. (Unless working with under 18s / vulnerable adults).

Post edited at 19:33
 summo 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Jakent90:

Ask the course provider if their governing body is recognised by either uimla or uiaa. 

https://www.theuiaa.org/mountain-qualification-label/

https://www.uimla.org/cms/

Andy Say 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Jakent90:

NZ has its own system of qualifications; pretty sure they meet the UIAA 'model standards' so are eminently respectable. One question worth asking is whether you will be put through those qualifications by the company concerned or whether it is an in-house training course: that would have far less credibility. 

It's also worth saying that if anyone says 'do this course / work for us and you will gain X qualification' they are possibly misrepresenting things. You do actually have to PASS to gain any qualification worth its salt.

As said up-thread legally you don't need any particular qualification to work in the outdoor sector but you will be expected to demonstrate your competence.  A recognised qualification PLUS relevant, current experience is the norm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...