UKC

Question about 8000m boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kmjohns1234 11 Feb 2019

Hi all. I am looking at getting 8000m boots. Im torn between la sportiva Olympus mons and millet everest summit gtx? Any used both or have new reviews as millet have upgraded their model 

hokkyokusei 11 Feb 2019
In reply to kmjohns1234:

Try them on and see which fit the best.

Damo 13 Feb 2019
In reply to kmjohns1234:

I've used both, of the older models in each though. Sportiva have also just released a new OlyMons (with ski attachments in the toe area!).

OlyMons traditionally fit narrower than the Millet, and I found this to be true. I actually ditched my Millets because they were too sloppy - too wide and the insulation packed down even further, making them impossible to get tight. The OlyMons were more trim fitting and lighter, but I think the Millet had more insulation and were a bit warmer. I used both models multiple times in Antarctica, on Vinson and other high peaks, but only the OlyMons at high altitude (to 6900m on G1).

Dave Garnett 13 Feb 2019
In reply to kmjohns1234:

My question about 8000m boots was whether they were better than 7-league boots.

Nowhere near, it seems.  7-league boots are good for 34000m. 

kmjohns1234 13 Feb 2019
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Hi. I have tried them both on they both fit I was wondering about peoples experiences with them 

hokkyokusei 13 Feb 2019
In reply to kmjohns1234:

> Hi. I have tried them both on they both fit I was wondering about peoples experiences with them 

Fair enough, though I'm surprised they both fit. I've not tried on the Millet, had my feet measured, and it was suggested that they wouldn't suit me. Scarpa 8000 didn't fit either, too wide. I have a pair of Olympus Mons and they fit well. I bought them as an investment several years ago, because I got a good discount. I've only worn them to 6500m in the Himalayas, so far, but I have ambitions to climb in Antarctica.

Tom Briggs 14 Feb 2019
In reply to kmjohns1234:

I don't know when  you need them by, but Scarpa have a new version of the Phantom 8000 that's going to be available this autumn. Unsurprisingly it's ridiculously light and looks very smart. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...