UKC

Reasonable pack weight for Alpine Trek

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SteveD 21 Aug 2014
Hi

I'm off to walk the Chamonix - Zermat Haute Route next week over 6 days and was sorting my gear out last night.

My pack, including, walking axe and crampons, Harness, camera, and spare clothing came in at 9kg, so I still have to add lunch and water to that. Is that excessive? Should I cut my toothbrush in half and lose the spare undies? I have included my duvet jacket because I really feel the cold but that is probably my only 'Luxury' item.

Cheers

Steve D
 edunn 21 Aug 2014
In reply to SteveD:

What spare clothing have you got? Maybe you need a spare top and a second pair of pants/socks, but other than that I wouldn't take much more.

Duvet jacket is a good idea.
 MG 21 Aug 2014
In reply to SteveD:

Are you staying in huts? Is so, that sounds quite a lot to me. Do you have a rope in there?
OP SteveD 21 Aug 2014
In reply to All:

We are staying in huts, I think I have too much spare clothing, my camera is quite heavy but I don't want to leave that out. No rope as yet.

What sort of weight should I be aiming at?

Cheers

Steve
Post edited at 10:47
 MG 21 Aug 2014
In reply to SteveD:

> What sort of weight should I be aiming at?

Not sure. Perhaps if you give us a list of what you are taking, we can all argue over which bits you need!?

What would I take? Off the top of my head

Spare top
Spare socks x2
Buffalo
Waterproofs
Ankle gaiters
Thin gloves
THick gloves
Hat
Sunhat
Sunglasses
Sun cream
Small washing kit.
Small towel
Torch
Wallet
Phone
Map
Book to read

If crossing glaciers
Crampons
Ice-axe
Harness +bits
Rope (or get someone else to carry it)
 jon 21 Aug 2014
In reply to MG:

> Rope (or get someone else to carry it)

Congrats Martin, you've just passed your summer test...
OP SteveD 21 Aug 2014
In reply to MG:

Thanks for that, That is pretty much what I have with the addition of an extra shirt for traveling home in.

Again, I feel the cold so have a light softshell and a thin micro fleece, and mitts rather than thick gloves, as I said Duvet jacket. A Small MP3 player instead of a book.

I am used to carrying about 12kg when wildcamping so it actually feels quite light to me, I was surprised when it came in at 9kg. I guess that Crampons and Axe will be on me rather than in the pack for much of the time.

I think I need to go through the lot again and be more strict, I may have added some bits 'just in case'
 edunn 21 Aug 2014
In reply to MG:

Wash kit AND two spare pairs of socks? Are you going on cruise?
Removed User 21 Aug 2014
In reply to SteveD:

If you are planning to do the standard walkers Haute Route most of the cols are clear with just a bit of snow on those between Cab De Mont Fort and Arolla but no need for axe and crampons. The chamois path from Mont Fort is subject to rockfall so take care or go over the col de Chaux. Most of the Europaweg in the Zermatt valley is closed due to rockfall so perhaps best to take the train from St Niklaus and do a nice walk from Zermatt. Obviously if you are taking the snowy HR then normal glacier travel kit needs to be taken.
You will have to shift if you plan to do the whole thing in 6 days.
 jon 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Removed UserMike Rhodes:

Sounds like the glacier route to me. 5 or 6 days are about normal - depending if you go via Valsorey or Mauvoisin, or if you stop at the Schönbiel or miss it out. The Walker's Haute Route typically around 10 days.
OP SteveD 21 Aug 2014

Thanks Mike, it's a guided walk so route finding is someone else's problem! and we need Glacier kit, if it was the walkers route I'd do it on my own. Just had another look technically it's 9 days but day 1 and 9 are very short.

Cheers Steve

(I think the GMC may be planning a visit to your neck of the woods 2015/16)
OP SteveD 21 Aug 2014
In reply to All:

My issue is that I've only done day trips and short climbs in the Alps before so using huts and multi-day treks are new to me.

Some of my problems may have been resolved, I've just found out that I can transfer back to Geneva via Chamonix so I can leave a drop bag there with any unused kit/clean change of clothes. I was attempting to go from Guernsey to Zermat and back with only my rucksack, so had to limit what I could travel with.

Thanks Guys

Steve
 lowersharpnose 21 Aug 2014
In reply to SteveD:

Ear plugs. Those squishy, jelly-type ones work great for me.
OP SteveD 21 Aug 2014
In reply to lowersharpnose:

> Ear plugs. Those squishy, jelly-type ones work great for me.

Good call, I'll get some!
Removed User 21 Aug 2014
In reply to SteveD:

Steve, I didn't realise that it was you. that's the problem with these abbreviated names. I was in Gsy in May and I am sure that I did see you when I was out on my bike. May be back later on in the year. If you are doing a guided version then I would go as light as I could. Silk liner as all of the huts have duvets in Switzerland and presumably the guide provides the rope.. I have guided the walkers version 6 times in the last 2 years and would have loved to do the snowy version but one I did earlier in July with 18 clients, had 40cms on one of the cols. Have a great trip and hopefully will see you and other donkeys next year.
OP SteveD 21 Aug 2014

Cheers Mike, I'm trying to get the GMC to actually go to some Mountains, so we'll see what happens!

Steve
 Brass Nipples 21 Aug 2014
In reply to SteveD:

6kg is my usual pack weight for these kinds of walks but an extra 3kg is no big deal. Just note what you didn't use this time, and might be left behind next.

goatee 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Orgsm: 6 kilo???. Do share your secrets,
OP SteveD 22 Aug 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

Cheers mate, I don't think I will manage 6Kg but it gives me something to aim for! My lack of cold tolerance will be my undoing I fear.

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...