UKC

Recommend me a pair of Gloves for Alpine winter!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GraMc 04 Nov 2013
Hi all,
I'm based in Chamonix for the winter, my gloves and circulation are both terrible, so the time has come to invest in a new set. I am looking for something to use for single and multiday alpine routes Ideally I'm after something affordable, durable, warm and dexterous!

I currently used Mountain equpiment guides and randonee gloves. The randonees are great but are falling apart and I find the guides arn't warm enough and get wet through very easiy.

As i said they need to be warm, but preferably dexterous enough to still use for fairly technical climbing.

cheers for any reccomendations.
 woollardjt 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Ginger McGrath:

Have you tried the old favourite of the Cham bin men glove, loads of guides use them, I've got a set as spare gloves.

Try this link

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/...

Although if you are in Cham ask around the local sand I'm sure they will point you in the right direction
 frqnt 05 Nov 2013
I've used a combination of ME Cascade Xtrafit and ME Couloir gloves down to about -20deg with no discomfort. I'd usually carry two pairs of tech. gloves, one pair of belay gloves and G/tex overmits.

As you are out that way, I'd try source some Swedish winter gardening gloves, the green and white ones. They are pretty much disposable and if they wet out just swap for a dry pair. Better still, if you can source Ice Ninja's, stockpile!
ice.solo 05 Nov 2013

BD super ramblas are cheapish and warm plus rugged.

whatever you get, spend another $5 and get some nikwax or snoseal and treat them properly. not only will they last, they will improve with age.
OP GraMc 06 Nov 2013

cheers for all the info
OP GraMc 06 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt:

Cheers, Yeh i acctually have 2 pairs of ice nija style insulated rubber palmed gloves, which i find great for scottish winter and cragging here but my hands have just got too cold in them on the bigger routes I've done out here.... and its only october1
 iksander 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Ginger McGrath: > affordable, durable, warm and dexterous

Randonees are hard to beat, ME Mountain Stretch are good too but with a membrane. What about getting some overmitts for belaying? Decathlon do some winstopper style ones which look pretty good http://www.decathlon.co.uk/boost-heat-black-ski-over-gloves--id_8186186.htm...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...