UKC

Saas fee snow conditions - July / August?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Smiffy 12 Jul 2019

Mt buddy and me are going to Sass Fee in last week on July & first week of August. I would like to know from anyone is there currently or has just returned what the snow conditions are like. We are planning to climb up 3800m to 4500m peaks. We are a bit worried that the freezing level is too high and the snow to unstable to climb safely. Last week the freezing level was at 4600m according to what information I could find on internet.

bogpetre 12 Jul 2019
In reply to Smiffy:

Have been in Chamonix on and off for the past month. Freezing reached 4700m at one point, so yes this is a concern. We retreated off multiple routes during this time due to instability. That said, the freezing level will fluctuate, and just because it was high a week ago, doesn't mean it will be a high a week into the future.

For my part I'm keeping an eye on the weather and waiting for a cold spell. In the meantime I'm sticking to rock routes. Would recommend a similar strategy, but don't give up on the snow/mixed stuff entirely. All it takes is a couple of colder days to make them safer again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...