UKC

Sherpas going for K2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Burly1973 15 Jan 2021

According to Alan Arnette link the Sherpas are going for it tomorrow on behalf of Nepal.... fingers crossed to the lads
https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2021/01/15/winter-k2-update-summit-push-so...

David Alcock 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Burly1973:

Should be setting off from camp 4 just around now, apparently. 

Sean Kelly 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Tom Last:

200mtrs to go. That's still a lot to do at altitude. Fingers crossed it all goes well. Very fitting if a team of Nepali Sherpas achieve this last milestone of Himalayan mountaineering history!

An hour and a half of daylight left. Could be touch & go for summit photos?

Post edited at 10:16
 Sean Kelly 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Big Steve:

10 metres below summit, and one oxygen free ascent? -28C at the summit!

Post edited at 10:23
 Big Steve 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

What an incredible achievement

Mr Lopez 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> one oxygen free ascent?

Where did you read that? Info i seen is that they are all on O2. Outstandingly impressive if that's the case

Sean Kelly 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Migma G climbing without O2. On Alan Arnette site. There are believed to be 10 in the summit group. A tremendous achievement!

Post edited at 10:36
Gone for good 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Nims Purja was going without oxygen. Whether he managed to get up without it I don't know. 

From the blog:

Mingma G and teammates are also at Camp 4.

Today 15 jan at 3:30pm we 3 mingma made it to camp4 on k2. Sona brother returned back 30 below from c4 coz his part of rope and gear were already used. We see the final route now.

Remember that Migma G is climbing without supplemental oxygen. He could be the first to summit K2 in the winter with no Os.

Mr Lopez 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Ah. Good old Alan Arnette

I think he was (is?) planning to attempt with no O2, but is carrying it nonetheless. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

--De todos ellos, solamente Mingma G dijo inicialmente que quería intentar el K2 sin oxígeno, aunque Sergi Mingote aseguraba este viernes que todos los que estaban en la parte alta de la montaña llevaban oxígeno suplementario.--

Out of all of them only MG initially said he wanted to attempt K2 without O2, though SG confirmed on Friday all in the upper part of the mountain are carying supplementary O2

https://www.desnivel.com/expediciones/ataque-a-cima-nepali-en-el-k2-inverna...

Post edited at 10:48
 leon 1 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Burly1973:

Looking forward to Colin O'Brady claiming he was first. 

I love how they all waited to go up together, that is the true expedition spirit. 

Martin Haworth 16 Jan 2021
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Looking forward to Colin O'Brady claiming he was first. 

> I love how they all waited to go up together, that is the true expedition spirit. 

Yes, great team spirit, very inspiring.

leon 1 16 Jan 2021

In reply to leon 1: Oh F.F.S. They're descending faster than I can type ! Now at C3 with 2 trying to go all the way down to BC tonight

https://explorersweb.com/2021/01/16/k2-summiters-safe-in-camp-4/

https://twitter.com/sst8848

Seven Summit Treks @sst8848  22m

All team reached C3 now, among 10 climbers 8 will stay at C3, Sona Sherpa and Galje Sherpa are descending down to Basecamp. #sst #sevensummittreks #k2expedition #k2winter #k2winter2021 #karakorum #sherpa #nepal #pakistan #mountaineering #expeditionk2

Post edited at 17:52
OP Burly1973 16 Jan 2021
In reply to leon 1: will be bitter sweet for all concerned with what happened to SM ☹️

BuzyG 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Burly1973:

Fantastic to read that the Sherpa teams made it at the weekend.

And indeed sad that Sergio Mingote left us.

Jim Lancs 19 Jan 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

> Fantastic to read that the Sherpa teams made it at the weekend.

Were they all Sherpas? All the bulletins I've read from them directly have been very explicit in calling it a Nepali team. There's certainly a couple of non-Sherpa names.

mark s 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

It doesn't sound good on K2 now. 3 missing for over a day and 1 confirmed death yesterday. Rescue mission has begun. 

Gone for good 06 Feb 2021
In reply to mark s:

The Alan Arnette blog is still providing updates. It does sound bleak though with wind chill bringing temperatures on the route down to -80 and the 3 climbers out of contact for more than 20 hours. 

https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2021/02/05/winter-k2-update-summit-push-up...

mark s 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Gone for good:

Doesn't sound good at all. K2 winter seems to be having the luck of the weather over anything else. The summit team last month certainly hit the weather window. 

David Alcock 06 Feb 2021
In reply to mark s:

It seems pretty hopeless now. It's night again.

mark s 06 Feb 2021
In reply to David Alcock:

I guess no one will find out what's happened till later in the year when ascents start again. 

Removed User 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Nims isn't Sherpa.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...