UKC

Switzerland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bspgirl 22 Apr 2012
I am looking at going to switzerland (around the matterhorn and the eiger) for a photography / walking trip. Never been and would really like some advice from anyone who's been there on places to stay, things to do etc,, any links to reccomended deals? Thanks
 samthom 22 Apr 2012
In reply to Ilmare1: Around the eiger, just visit Wengen, if you;d like, look at the Junfraujoch train: http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe1.html or alternatively just walk along the base of the eiger (assuming summer) there are some gorgeous waterways and ice structures under there. Also, the walk from the top of the Maenlichen cable car to Kleine scheidegg is a nice stroll, I nearly got gutted by a cattle horn there mind. hurt.
 Blinder 22 Apr 2012
In reply to Ilmare1: Loads and loads of possibilities. One would walking from Saas fee to Zermat via the Hoehenweg some spectacular photo opportunities. Lots of Steinbox. Would take about two/ three days ( google 'tour monta rosa' as it part of that route) . A couple of days in Zerrmat could be fun, with some good day walks . For the Eiger, Grindelwald or Wennger are good places to stay but there lots of other possibilities. There is a cool parth that goes under the north face of the Eiger which is fun. Not sure how easy it is to get Swiss maps in the uk. But getting this might be a good place to start. However google earth is a cheaper option. Www.map.search.ch also list a lot of walking routes ( tick the 'entertainment' button')

petesdavies 22 Apr 2012
In reply to Ilmare1:

I'd recommend a book I bought recently. Swiss alps by kev reynolds and published by cicerone. Lots of ideas and useful info.
 victorclimber 22 Apr 2012
In reply to Ilmare1: good camp site at Grindlewald ,get up the hills opposite the Eiger for some of the great mountain shots ..Wetterhorn ,Eiger etc
 inboard 22 Apr 2012
In reply to Ilmare1:
Swisstopo maps easy to get in UK, either online from swisstopo (their ordnance survey equivalent), or from shops such as stanfords in London.

However, you can get free access to 1:25000, 1:50000 Swisstopo maps online at http://map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=en. Ideal for trip planning!
Have fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...