UKC

Taking dehydrated expedition foods into US?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 markk 11 Feb 2019

Does anyone have recent experience of taking dehydrated expedition foods into US?

As in, is it permitted - particularly those containing dried meat?

Looking at the USDA APHIS and U.S. Customs and Border Protection websites I'm pretty sure it's not, but good to hear from anyone who knows for sure.

Thanks!

Sl@te Head 11 Feb 2019
In reply to markk:

Not recent, but took a school group on a sea kayaking expedition to Alaska and got all our dehydrated expedition meals (except the veggie ones) confiscated at the airport!

Pedro50 11 Feb 2019
In reply to markk:

We were fine, we were doing the JMT and took about half of our food. However it's so easy to buy over there why take the risk. The price and selection is superb. 

OP markk 11 Feb 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head: - thanks, that's pretty much what I thought might happen.

In reply to Pedro50: - good suggestion, but not many shops where we'll be going.

Thanks guys.

marsbar 11 Feb 2019
In reply to markk:

Can you order online for delivery at your destination?

In reply to marsbar:I’ve taken a load over to Alaska a couple of times without getting it confiscated, but unless you are getting it free you might as well buy it out there from REI.

Dave 12 Feb 2019
In reply to markk:

I believe its not permitted although whether the ban is actually applied seems to vary. In 2017 I asked at US customs in either JFK or Newark about it and was told it should be OK. On my next flight over I took in about 15-20 packs, declared it at customs, they x-rayed it and let it through. I had Expedition Foods veggie, beef and chicken meals. If I recall correctly Expedition Foods said they often send stuff to the US without problems. Best declare it though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...