UKC

The Royal Traverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robthered 02 Mar 2014
Having being inspired by Phillipe Batoux's description of The Royal Traverse (Dômes de Miage, Aiguille de Bionnassay and Mont Blanc), I was wondering if anyone a) had done it in its entirety and b) knows if it is in a guide book as a route in itself? Obviously one could piece it together from various descriptions of components, but as a whole would be handy. Was mainly interested in details of timing/itinerary; other tips gladly received.

Cheers

Rob
 jon 02 Mar 2014
 OwenM 02 Mar 2014
In reply to robthered:
Mont Blanc via three monts route, down the Bosses ridge and across Domes de Miage, then went up Aiguille De Bionnassay, retraced our steps to the Col de Bionnassay and dropped down to the Miage glacier and all the way to the road. Left the Cosmiques hut at 01.00, got to the road at about 19.00 totally knackered. That was in 1983, I'm not sure that way down is recommended these days. I think the glacier has changed quite a lot over the years.

P.S. Didn't know it had a name, but it's in Gaston Rebuffat's book.
Post edited at 20:50
 jon 02 Mar 2014
In reply to OwenM:

In that order? Or did you mean the Dôme du Goûter then the Bionnassay?
lostcat 02 Mar 2014
In reply to robthered:

It is in 'Mont Blanc 4808m, 5 routes to the summit'.By Francois Damilano. A written description with lots of photographs showing the various stages of the route.
 OwenM 02 Mar 2014
In reply to jon:

> In that order? Or did you mean the Dôme du Goûter then the Bionnassay?

Yes Dome du Gouter - Bionnassay. getting my peaks mixed up.
OP robthered 03 Mar 2014
Great - thanks all. And for the photos - as if I needed any more encouragement!

The route is in Batoux's 'coffee table guide' to the Massif, and suggested descent is via the normal route, 3 MBs traverse to the Midi. Will check out the '5 routes' book too.

Fingers crossed for the weather this year...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...