UKC

TMB winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sabilly1 10 Feb 2021

Hello all, I had hoped to get to the alps this summer but it’s not looking likely. I’m just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of a winter TMB. 

i trekked a section of it last winter on a day off from cross country skiing and it was a brilliant couple of days. Very secluded. 

i have tried looking online but find very little in information on what sort of feat it will be or the logistics behind it. 

any info wil be appreciated. 

DaveHK 10 Feb 2021
In reply to Sabilly1:

Do you mean walking? You can't find info on it because people don't do it, or at least not often. Or if they do they do it on skis, I've certainly done bits of it on skis. Probably very hard work on foot, it's just not something you see in the alps at that time of year. Some valley sections might be clear by April but the passes are usually snowy well into May.

Post edited at 19:42
OP Sabilly1 10 Feb 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

Yeah I meant walking. When I did a stretch of it before there were parties walking it with  snowshoes. 

is there any reason why it wouldn’t be done in winter with the right kit ? 

DaveHK 10 Feb 2021
In reply to Sabilly1:

> Yeah I meant walking. When I did a stretch of it before there were parties walking it with  snowshoes. 

> is there any reason why it wouldn’t be done in winter with the right kit ? 

Skis would be the right kit!

DaveHK 10 Feb 2021
In reply to Sabilly1:

> Yeah I meant walking. When I did a stretch of it before there were parties walking it with  snowshoes. 

Were the parties you saw doing the whole thing? Not something I've heard of.

> is there any reason why it wouldn’t be done in winter with the right kit ? 

Depends on conditions really. Lots of the passes can be very exposed to avalanche risk and on foot you'd be spending more time exposed to that. With stable snow in the spring it might be possible but really hard work. With any fresh snow you'd be grinding to a halt pretty quickly and exposing yourself to avalanche danger.

Post edited at 19:53
 DaveHK 10 Feb 2021
In reply to Sabilly1:

I took this a few k above Notre-Dame de la Gorge in mid April a few years back. Col du Bonhomme on the extreme left. Walking would have been a nightmare.

OP Sabilly1 10 Feb 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

I’m not 100% on if they were walking the full length. I was just interested to see if it was a realistic challenge. My lockdown mind needs something to look forward to. 

cheers for the info, will probably be giving it a miss. 

Tim Davies 11 Feb 2021
In reply to Sabilly1:

I’m sure it’s possible , whether it’s practical I’m not so sure. As an example the slopes pictured above are well known avalanche terrain, likewise the route through Val Ferret.  You’d need stable snow, crossing at the right time of day etc etc to get it right . 

Removed User 11 Feb 2021
In reply to Sabilly1:

I guided a team on a good section of the TMB one winter... on skis. It was a very memorable trip. Didn't see anyone between Contamines and Courmayeur, it felt really wild.

Of course a winter expedition would be doable, but as others have said it's serious terrain in places. Lots of avalanche potential and awkward ground for snow shoeing (steep traverses etc). If you caught it in perfect spring conditions with overnight freezes and had a strong team with you then why not.

Otherwise an autumn round would be better. Wait for the huts to shut but get it done before the first snows of the winter season and you'd have it quiet without the added difficulty of the winter snow

John Cuthbert 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Removed UserdoubleB:

Just like to agree with the comments here, especially from doubleB.

I've ski-toured several of the TMB sections in winter, and backed off several others.

It really is completely transformed in winter conditions, and would not be safe going solo. Indeed, several times I've backed due to snow conditions that were completely unconsolidated or crazy windblown, and I mean 'CRAZY'. On one other occasion, the wind/snow storm I got caught in felt more Alaskan  than Alpine in ferocity. On that occasion, I actually was so badly windblow I was forced to crawl/wade for some distance ( i wasn't able to ski upright), and this was only about 90mins from the road..

there are lots of snow shoeing options in the Aravis area adjacent to the Cham Valley which are both much more manageable, and pretty damn gorgeous, and I have several friends who run snow shoeing days out if you'd like their info..

John C 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...