UKC

Tracks in snow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 16 Apr 2023

I am the only person who finds them always  too narrow? Do you all walk with one foot landing in line with the other?

jon 16 Apr 2023
In reply to MG:

Woozels ?

OP MG 16 Apr 2023
In reply to jon:

Could be!

I consider I do a public service by walking haggis-like with one foot higher than the other to widen the track.

a crap climber 16 Apr 2023
In reply to MG:

I was once told during some army training on basic tracking, that if you're carrying more weight, your tracks get narrower. Maybe you just need a bigger rucksack?

Moacs 16 Apr 2023
In reply to jon:

> Woozels ?

Perhaps; or heffalumps?

Dave the Rave 16 Apr 2023
In reply to a crap climber:

> I was once told during some army training on basic tracking, that if you're carrying more weight, your tracks get narrower. Maybe you just need a bigger rucksack?

Are you sure? Did you catch them? It would make more sense that tracks would be wider to give a larger base of support for the heavy load? 

Marek 16 Apr 2023
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Are you sure? Did you catch them? It would make more sense that tracks would be wider to give a larger base of support for the heavy load? 

Narrower makes sense to me: If you have a heavy load you are more likely to want to keep your feet directly under the center of gravity rather than swaying side-to-side (which is probably more efficient under normal conditions).

a crap climber 16 Apr 2023

> Are you sure? 

Well I'm fairly sure that's what I was told, the instructor made a big point of it as people seem to assume the opposite. No idea if it's true though, I've never checked 

John Lyall 16 Apr 2023
In reply to MG:

You need to get out earlier to break the trail, then you'll make it the right width.

deepsoup 16 Apr 2023

> It would make more sense that tracks would be wider to give a larger base of support for the heavy load? 

What Marek said.  This might make sense while standing still, but while you're walking the 'base of support' is only one foot at a time.

Ian Parsons 16 Apr 2023
In reply to jon:

> Woozels ?

Probably not Meynet!

VictorM 17 Apr 2023
In reply to MG:

One should have a 'farmer's gait' while wearing crampons anyway so looks like a lot of people are bringing too much kit!

My pet peeve with snow tracks is that people take big steps. I often find myself kicking new steps in between the giant's leaps one sometimes finds. 

jon 17 Apr 2023
In reply to MG:

Way back at the dawn of the plastic boots era, my mate Dave (surname witheld) set off from a hut in fresh snow with some friends. It wasn't until they complained that they had difficulty following his tracks that he realised he'd put the shells on the wrong feet...

Stob Dearg 17 Apr 2023
In reply to VictorM:

My pet peeve is short, light people who make dainty little holes that don't break through the crust. Not only do they not make sensible holes and screw up the snow forcing me to walk toe-heel but they don't break through the crust either so I am perpetually falling through to a deeper layer.

The sight of tiny folk trying to use my holes never fails to amuse though as they often get stranded half way through a stride as if they are trying to step over a pommel horse.

Post edited at 12:09
Removed User 17 Apr 2023
In reply to MG:

Are you saying you have big balls?

OP MG 17 Apr 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

My feet point out at 45 degrees so I get endless complaints about my tracks. My skin tracks just get laughed at...

VictorM 17 Apr 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

I LOL'd

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...