UKC

Travel to the Vanoise region of the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d.leedham 14 Apr 2023

Hi everyone

Considering using train to travel to Modane in the Alps in September ( to walk in the Vanoise) using Kendal to London (overnight at relatives) then next day Eurostar to Paris and then TGV to Modane. Return similar a couple of weeks later.

I am over 60 and am wondering whether is worth buying an interrail ticket as opposed to buying three separate tickets? Any advice would be welcome particularly if you have made a similar journey

Many thanks

Harry Ellis 14 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

Worth looking at the small print on interrail passes. I looked into it and you often have to pay for compulsory reservations on intercity trains. This may make it not worth getting a pass. 
I recently travelled to modane by train and we got a good deal on the SNCFwebsite that wasn’t available anywhere else so worth looking there. 

Mouflon 15 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

Probably irrelevant as it seems like you've sorted your travel (and perhaps won't want to fly) but when we went to the Vanoise, we flew Easyjet to Milan from Manchester, overnight in Milan B&B.

Next day, shortish 2.75 hours train journey to Modane and plenty of time to walk up to Refuge L'Orgere for start of Tour de Vanoise. 

rif 15 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

Are you committed to Modane as the start/finish? Several years ago we did a Vanoise hut-to-hut tour by overnight train from Paris to Bourg Saint Maurice. Bus to Val d'Isere the first morning, and walked out via Landry the last day.

65 15 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

I'll be watching this thread with interest as this will be relevant for me next year.

Have a look on https://www.seat61.com

A brilliant resource.

OP d.leedham 16 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

Many thanks for your replies. Flying is not a no-no for me, just have this fear that my rucsac will be mislaid!! Will also look into buying the TGV ticket from SNCF.

Does anybody know if a UK senior railcard can be used in France or do you have to buy the French equivalent?

Also another thought, does Austrian Alpine Club membership still give you reciprocal rights and mountain rescue insurance?

Just another thought, it is over ten years since I last went to the Alps. Can you still just turn up unbooked and be given somewhere to sleep? It will be September so hoping it will be quieter!

Post edited at 10:31
OP d.leedham 16 Apr 2023
In reply to Mouflon:

Hi Mouflon

Just had a look at the flights to Milan Malpensa and they are very reasonable. Did you book your rucsac as hold baggage or did you go with a small enough rucsac to take as cabin bag? I normally travel really light but it will be September.....

D

OP d.leedham 16 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

Oh bugger

My trip is planned from September 15th-ish to September 26th

Looks like some of the huts are closed, does anyone know if they have winter rooms? Means I will have to carry food but thats the time I have

Dave Cundy 16 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

I took the train from London to Avignon last year.  I bought a Carte Advantage, hoping to save a few quid on Eurostar and the TGV.  However, it doesn't work on Eurostar, which was half the total cost.

After you've bought one online, you're supposed to get a physical version of the card at a station but i didn't (had no time) and no-one asked for it.

TGVs as impressive as ever.  Best thing in France (after the wine and the pattiseries).

Kimberley 16 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

Have a look at the journey on Trainline.com, looks well priced, select Senior

AAC still provides reciprocal hut fees and Rescue insurance

No, don't arrive without booking except in an emergency, booking and info is all on-line.

https://www.ffcam.fr/rechercher_refuge_chalet.html

https://www.haute-maurienne-vanoise.com/en/hosting/les-refuges/

Some have winter rooms, it tells you on each hut website, otherwise just email them.

For  one week of walking I can get all I need in a carry on size rucksack to fly.

OP d.leedham 16 Apr 2023
In reply to Kimberley:

Thats great, thankyou

rsc 16 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

> Does anybody know if a UK senior railcard can be used in France or do you have to buy the French equivalent?

No need for either - just select “Senior” when booking your ticket (as mentioned above). You’ll have your passport as proof if anyone thinks you look too young!

Doug 16 Apr 2023
In reply to rsc:

selecting 'senior' does not get you any reduction in price -for that you need a 'Carte Avantage Senior' (https://www.sncf.com/fr/offres-voyageurs/cartes-tarifs-grandes-lignes/carte... ). According to my wife, its worth having if you make more than 3 long train journeys per year (at the moment I don't but she does).

RX-78 16 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

My wife and i hiked laundry to modane about 2 years ago in late September. Got there by train, no problem, from London. Didn't think to use an interrail pass. We spent a few days in Annecy afrerwards as a reward. Huts were fine, our AAC(UK) was accepted. It was shortly after most covid restrictions were lifted. Bring some cash as some of the huts, at the time, only accepted cash or cheques!!

ali.scott 16 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

Having looked into this recently, yes, in lots of cases it can be cheaper to get an interrail pass. You need to book a reservation on the Eurostar (€30 each journey). The main issue wasn't so much the cost, but the limited number of seats they allocate for Interrail reservations. This is the only site you can check availability, as far as I can tell: https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish 

Mouflon 17 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

Hold baggage. We never took big rucksacks but too big for cabin baggage.

I used to take personal stuff out of my rucksack and put into the liner, so used that as hand baggage. The rest went into the hold, then I repacked on arrival.

I've still got the hut to hut plan with all details incl travel, plus gear list. If you're interested, email me.

rsc 17 Apr 2023
In reply to Doug:

> selecting 'senior' does not get you any reduction in price -for that you need a 'Carte Avantage Senior' 

Perhaps that’s if you’re booking from France? I’ve had no problem claiming the discount without the Carte when booking from the UK. Maybe I just got lucky but no one, on several journeys, has ever asked me for proof of age. (Hmmm… do I really look that ancient?)

Babika 17 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

> Oh bugger

> My trip is planned from September 15th-ish to September 26th

> Looks like some of the huts are closed, does anyone know if they have winter rooms? Means I will have to carry food but thats the time I have

I'm always baffled by this. We went same time about 5 years ago - gorgeous weather but had to poke around in a freezing hut (Ecrins)with all the window shutters nailed down, headtorches on and no access to the loos. Why don't the French stay open for September? 

OP d.leedham 22 Apr 2023
In reply to d.leedham:

Hi guys

Many thanks for advice, in the end I booked North England/Eurostar to Paris, o/night in cheap hostel, early morning (6am ish) to Modane and walk up to first hut. On way back hoping to do it all the way back to Cumbria in a day from Modane!!

Roughly £200 in fares but at least I don't have the stress of baggage and airports generally

The "Maninseat61" website was very useful

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...